I want an affective protectant against pregnancy, and I'm about to get off depo and switch to the pill.

But Mirena sounds better then the pill. Is it dangerous for me to take it?

I think to use Mirena you have to have had a baby. The pill is very effective and you can use condoms with it to protect against pregnancy even more.

Rose21 wrote:

The Mirena is recommended for women who've had children because their cervix's are already more open than those who haven't. That said, I have never had kids and had one inserted--the OB/GYN said there are a lot of women without kids who have it. But--be ready to experience the pain of your life!

Also, before deciding, you might want to take a look at the Mirena weight gain thread here and also the Mirena threads over at curezone.com. I would caution anyone who jumps into this decision to look before you leap. I wish I had.

I"m 27 with NO KIDS! Doctor said no problem. I've had Mirena for almost a year and its been great. I went from having not really good experiences with pills- just not consistent periods at all to just great. I did have the ring for a year before Mirena and that was great too. The first month was spotty for Mirena and since then, barely anything. Minimal period, minimal menstrual symptoms, couldn't ask for anything better. It all comes down to the differences in everyone. It might be good for some and some for not- but give this a try. No kids, no problem. Try it and expect different symptoms but give it a try.