Hi, I am a 23 years old female. I have a condition called pityriasis rosea. Hoe should I treat it? Is there any hope for recovery?

Hello, I was diagnosed with pityriasis rosea a year ago. It is a skin disease that is characterized by oval pink rash. No one is sure what is the cause, but it’s most likely to be a virus. Pityriasis rosea doesnr avoid any age or sex, but it is most common in women between 10 and 30. Symptoms are very rare, and I am unfortune enough to be one in 3% of affected people who have them. Beside rash , I have itching that is sometimes unbearable. Unfortunately, there is no cure for pityriasis rosea, but it often goes by itself. Of course there is a hope, especially if you use some of the therapies that are ment to shorten the duration of pityriasis rosea. There are ultraviolet light treatment and phototherapy, which can be very useful.

does pityriasis rosea really last for 5-6 weeks? a doctor that i went to diagnosed me with pityriasis rosea and told me that there is no medicine to make it go away. it itches like hell! im too embarassed to go out anymore, seeing as it is coming in to summer and everybody is wearing singlets and what not, because i have the rash on my shoulders, neck, back, arms, stomach and legs. its visible no matter what i wear :-( the doctor also told me that it is going to get worse before it goes away. is this true? is there honestly no medicine to get rid of it? what causes it? im starting to get so upset about it :-( i feel like a freak

I have pityriasis rosea for almost 4 months now, and it just seems to be getting worstt. My doctor gave me so many medications and nothing seems to be workin. It itches like mad. I just wanna know if it will ever end

I had P.R. and was suggested Aveeno anti-itch cream which is the strongest ever as told by the dermatologist himself. .. it lasted for 2months.. but thats the case with P.R. ... I even tried Allergy pill..but that didn't help much...
After reading about UV rays, I started wearing my sun dresses for sun rays for curing and it did help... luckily it was summer that I had got it...

My Dr told me PR typically takes 6-8 weeks to completely heal. I got PR about 6 weeks ago and now into 7th week.

When 6th week came, the red spots were still there and itchy (It didn't look hopeful)
Then gradually, they became less swollen, then to a light brown with some peeling (still slightly itchy). By now, some area is only faintly brown.
I'm patiently waiting for everything to be completely gone.

Rest well, avoid unhealthy stuff and dusty/sweaty environment.
Have lots of water, fruits and vegetable, and moisturize.
Hang in there - It will get better! :-)

I was diagnosed with PR on 7/23/08 (after seeing it first on 8/20/08). When I went to the doctor, he said that it will last about 4-6 weeks, but there is no cure due to its potential viral etiology. He prescribed a potent steroid spray to relieve the itching. When I went home, I did further research on PR in medical journals. PR is a condition that is thought to be due to a latent virus (possibly herpes virus 7 or 6) that becomes active again. It typically causes a rash in a "herald patch" that has very characteristic scaling (oval and off-center). The spots are located on the cleavage lines of Langer, so there is a pattern to the spots. The articles I read said that the course can be as long as 12 weeks, but anything persisting longer should be reevaluated. Part of the differential for PR is syphilis. If you have the rash on the palms of your hand or the soles of your feet, you may have syphilis. Typically, a dermatologist will take a skin biopsy if you're rash persists for too long. As for the natural course of the condition, the only article that I saw something in said that it peaks after about two weeks, and then slowly starts to heal in intervals. Itching is more common in people who already have dry skin (and is definitely wrose, which I can attest to), but does not affect every person with PR. Based on experience and what my doctor has told me, use the steroids. Itching is the worse thing you can do, because it will cause the rash to scale and then peel, leaving unhealed open skin. This presents a risk for secondary infection, and more importantly, hurts like hell. I didn't use the steroids due to the side effects, and ended up scratching my entire backside and upper thigh to the point where I had no skin there. It took about 2 weeks to heal to the point where it's not so horrible, but it's still healing. Walking was very difficult, as was sitting. You can try calamine lotion as well, but that didn't help me that much once the itching got bad. Now I'm using a cooling agent (witch hazel and rose water on the peeled off skin area) plus the steroids (to prevent me from scratching off anymore skin). I also use oatmeal based body wash, and an occasional oatmeal bath. Take cool showers and bath, because heat aggravates the itching and peeling. UV light helps, but if you have dark skin, it can cause hypo pigmentation (discoloration). Good luck to everyone! I hope mine doesn't last as long as some of yours have been.

I suffered from PS for over 4 months and I am still dealing with the horrible pigmant scars left on my body.. It really is a horrible infection but the best advice i can give is shower in luke warm water, shower with non-soao products and have QV oil baths.. It will eventually go and i know you may seem it will never happen but i ensure you those scaly spot will leave you! A hint i will gove you, is after the spots have lost there scale use a tinted moisterizer twice a week to tint the current scaring.. My dermo approved of this!

Good luck my spotty friends IT WILL GET BETTER IN TIME!!!:-)

Is it good to slow down with this? Has resting helped any of you guys? Have any of your doctors advised it?

does any have any good advice to fade the dark spots after the pr. these spots have really lowered my self esteem and i really want them to fade completely away. I have tried fade creams and i can say the spots have faded but there still there and noticeable.

please help with any advise if u can.

Thanks.

I started noticing something was wrong when the patch on my collar bone would not go away. I seemed to have a mild case that did not itch and then my stomach broke out in red bumps that looked like chicken pox. Then my boobs. And when it started moving to my back and up my neck in the second week I knew I had to do something before it got worse.

I went to a tanning salon and did a stand up tan for 10 mins (the max) which I would and would not recommend. I would not recommend it because I got a bad sun burn, but would recommend it because on the first day of the burn nothing happened, but on the second day (Sunday) I started to see the red spots turn brown. Today is Monday and they have almost disappeared completely and started peeling. My stomach is clear.

I have to say, sun worked. There was no way that I was going to let this random rash win. I beat it. Or burned it. Either way it is going away. I am going in for a 5 min tanning session this week and one next week and then it should be completely gone.

I do not know if this will work for everyone, but it worked for me. If I ever see that sketchy patch starting to form again, I am getting my butt to the tanning salon.

Good luck everyone!

im 17, and this is the second time i've had PR.

i first got it less than a year ago, and it wasnt too bad the first time, just occurring on my torso so was easy to hide, i went to the doctor n she said it would go away in week or so and that there was no cure but to just let it take its toll. It dissappeared after 1-2 weeks,, and didnt leave any scars or anything, but now recently has just come back...this time it's much worse and spreading up my neck and face..im having to wear polo necks in Summer and its itching like mad!! and this is my last year at school, and there is a leavers ball in a month or so...just trying to have faith that they will be gone soon!

i was thinking maybe i have a weak immune system? i seem to get a lot of colds etc too...so I'm just trying to eat healthily drink lots of water, get some vitamin C etc...and not let it get me down :-)

stay positive and have faith :-)

I am a 27 year old girl and i have it but the thing i found out that seemed to help me was when i went tanning it really dose work

Hello, I made a lotion for your skin. It is called extreme cream. It will help with itching and the burning. Also will help with the scars. Monica

Have had this for a long time or some form of it, Has never been itchy, Slightly darker then my skin tinted patches on my stomach and around my back. Ignoring it and waiting till it goes hasn't worked for me! Its such an annoying thing to happen. Determined to get rid of this before next year. shall post updates.