hi, ive been diagnosed with Pityriasis Rosea (PR) 12 weeks ago. the rashes have almost disappeared except for faint to medium brown spots on my trunk and legs. the rashes on my upper body and arms have completely faded. my skin colour is very fair.

i understand that this condition does not leave scars... but the marks on my legs does not seem to go away. it seems to be the same for the past 4 weeks or so...

i'm not sure if i'm still in the healing process, thus explaining the marks on my legs... or have i already recovered and these are scars left behind from PR?

if so, what can i do to speed up the healing process or to remove these unsightly scars?

i have been diligently applying whitening products on my legs every night, but it doesnt seem to help. this is affecting my life and career greatly because my job requires me to have good skin. hope someone can advise me..

much appreciated!!

I was diagnosed with pr about 3 years ago and still have brown spots that were left behind and mine are on my arms. I was told also that there would be no scarring and these spots will all dissapear but have found that those statements are not true at all. Now i walk around with long sleeves, a sweater or my denim jacket because although i know im healthy someone looking at my arms may think differently. I tried using skin lightning creams too but i still have these spots, i really wish i could find something that could make these spots go away. I was so comfortable in my skin, now i feel like im shut off from the world like an alien trying to always hide who i am.

good luck.

i just got this 3 weeks ago, and it makes mecry ever time i get dressed and see my skin s completely scarred. i ask anyone, did here scars go away completely cus i can even wear a vneck shirt without being stared at. My summer is ruined

I've had this for more than a year now.. It still itches sometimes and the scars won't fade. I guess I can still consider myself lucky in a way because I don't have it on my arms and legs.. I have it on my back and stomach, but like you all, my self-esteem decreased and I can't wear backless tops :-(

Hi I am 17 years old and was diagnosed with PR about 3 months ago. I believe I got it from my cat that had bald spots on it and the virus was in the bald spots. After a week the cat had given it to all my other cats. I developed PR on my face, arms, neck and stomach. The worst of it cleared up within 2 and a half months but I have the little brown spots everywhere. I have a fiance and he doesn't care about the little brown spots. I walked around school thinking I looked disgusting and that people thought it was contagious. I believe it is contagious but peoples immune systems are way better than mine. My fiance got a big spot on the middle of his back, my mother got one on her chin and stomach, and my brother has one on his leg and arm. They never touched my cat. PR does scar and if the boys think your gross there def not worth your time. Good Luck.

I am 20 years old I had PR for about 7 weeks. The herald patch was first seen on my abdomen right below my right breast and four weeks later, I had spots all over my trunk. It spread to parts of my breasts, chest, neck, and I had spots on the move to the underside of my arms and some on my back. I was reading and just feeling sadder and sadder more hopeless thinking I was going to be horribly scarred from this disease forever and my confidence would continue to drop. So after reading, I tried what seemed to be working and even read that they're starting medical studies on it:

TANNING.

You don't have to go for a long time, but exposure to the UV lights does something! I'm a light skinned Hispanic female so I went in the booth only for what I could tolerate considering I got this disease in the dead of winter. I went the first day for 7 minutes, and I bought a little sampler to use as a lotion. I went every other day for three sessions, the second day, 8 minutes, and third session, 9 minutes. I now have it on the run and it looks like it's healing very well! I'm going to go for one more session this week and then let my skin heal on it's own! I really trust that all of you should try this if you are struggling with this SHITTY RASH. Good luck to all of you and I wish you the best! Stay positive! Stress only made this worse. 

I am an African - American woman and I also got mine in the winter. I became really sad because I would always receive compliments on my nice and beautiful completion. I am medium brown, comparibly to Megan Good and this rash was very noticible. After extensive research I decided that tanning would be my best bet. I luckily had it at my gym and it came standard with my gym membership. Never thinking I would take advantage of this accommodation, I went in skeptical. Of course everyone thought I was crazy and I'd admit I thought I was as well. But after only three 10 minute sessions I see results. I have had this rash for about a month and a half now and I'm finally seeing light at the end of this dark, depressing tunnel. I use coconut oil to moisturizer and oatmeal to exfoliate. Also a lot and lot of prayer for comfort! Don't give up and hopefully this helps I am going in for a couple more sessions of tanning after my workout. Please stay positive and take vitamins, drink lots of water, and eat as healthy as possible. This isn't the end of the world, your spots make you unique in the world so embrass them even if they don't go away.

i had a PR for about one month and a half.

it is now peeling and i notice the discoloration of my rashes.

i just want to know if this will be faded?

i had a light Asian skin.

is there a possibility that it will become scar?

Hi Elise,

Sounds like we have the same complexion :) At what stage was your skin condition when you started tanning? And what stage are you at now?

My spots started out red and pink but now they are all dark and flaking and i want them to hurry up and fade ive been one 6 mins tan session yesterday and plan to go twice more this week for 10 mins each. Do you think this will help? or compared to what stage you are at do you think it sounds like its now healing?

Would really be apreciative if you could get back to me...Thank you xx

I have totally healed, praise God! I no longer have the scares nor am I'm peeling. My skin is completely back to normal, other than some dryness which I have anyway because it is winter. Just make sure you moisturizer with pure coconut oil. Don't use anything with fragrance. Anyway, I started tanning when my scares were at the pinkish, brown stage. They were dark and itchy. I would recommend the stand-up ones versus the bed ones. The stand up ones have a higher voltage and it takes less sessions to see results. I had only about 5-ten minute session and it literally peeled off. You can see the scares turn white and ashy while tanning, this means they are peeling. Also, when you bathe only use a natural non-fragrances soap, I know it sucks, but it really does make the healing process a lot faster. If you have any more questions let me know. Good luck and you are much closer to the end of this process than you think

Thank you so much for replying so fast and being so informative.

oooh one last question how long after you started the tannning process and coconut oil were you healed? Is this posting correct like did it take a full month?

Congrats on your success and thank you for the encouragement i will take all your advice :) You are a star xx

After I started tanning, it took literally two weeks. Not lying! I thought it was crazy too. Just to think I had been dealing with this disease for a almost two months and my solution was to tan and it would heal in two weeks was mind boggling. That's why I wanted to share my story so no one would have to go as long as I did without knowing or looking for a simple solutions. There was a medical study on the Internet I read that took a sample of those dealing with pityriasis rosea from different races and used tanning for treatment. Those that were treated with tanning, no matter the race and skin complexion, saw a significant difference. After that I thought it was worth a try. Science doesn't lie. But to answer you question, aside from the extra, after just those 5-ten minute sessions over the course of 2 weeks it was pretty much healed by the fourth session. Be sure you don't go back to back. Although we are darker completed, we are still prone to the risk of skin damage or even skin cancer. I know you want to get rid of it and excited you found something that works, but don't get too anxious and tan so much you make yourself susceptible to other problems. Like anything it's going to take time. Just tan maybe every other day or every three days and moisturize heavenly in between. That would be the most effective and healthy approach.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!!

Apart from scarring under my armpits im healed the sunbeds worked :)

So happy.

Cant wait till there is some real sun outside so i can lay back in the park with my palms under my head that way maybe the armpit scars will go? I dunno don't care too much because who would be looking in my armpits anyway hehe.

I have even documented it with pictures in case you or anyone else is interested :)

***Post is edited by moderator *** Web addresses not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

Hey were you ever told what caused this, Iam in week 7 and it seems to be getting worse.

Thats ringworm NOT PR