Hello there! I am a 17 years old male. This morning I developed a strange rash on my chest and back, accompanied with a huge need for itching. It looks like a pink, oval patch. It gives me a headache! My mother says that this happened to my father once, and is called pitaryasis rosea. Father was at the doctor’s and they told him that there was no cure, just to sit and wait, that it would go away by itself. So, I don’t know if I should make an appointment or not!!!

Hi there! I had pityriasis rosea on my stomach and chest and, yes it is true that it should go away by itself, it’s just that it lasts too long. In between of 6 to 12 weeks should disappear and it should not leave any scarring. Don’t think it is heredity, the cause is not known, not linked to food, medication, or stress and it is not contagious. If it itches too much, you may go to the dermatologist, so that s/he can prescribe you Corticosteroid cream. Maybe you should go to dermatologist anyway just to make sure it is Pityriasis rosea .