Hi. I'm 37 year old worried mother. Just the other day my son complained on some rash on his back. There was nothing visible on his back and it stopped the same night, so we didn’t pay too much attention on it nor we reported this to any doctor.
But, the day after, he woke up with terrible rash and itchiness, followed even with some small lesion.
So, I took him to see a dermatologist imidiately. After some tests and skin biopsy he determined that he suffers from some skin condition called Pityriasis rosea.
Any ideas what this could be?

My wife has been diagnosed with this disease last year so I know some important facts about it.
Pityriasis rosea is a skin disorder with which can be recognized by a characteristic rash. It is suspected that virus is the cause but it is now proven yet.
You should worry that much because it is usually very benign disease which lasts about 3 weeks.
So, if symptoms stay the same no treatment may be needed, but symptoms could get worse and than he should use some oral antihistamines. Sun exposure or ultraviolet light treatment may help skin lesions healing.

My son was diagnosed with Pitiriasis. He is 11 1/2 and had a pretty bad case of it. The dermatologist said it's caused by a virus (and then breaks out) and is not catching once the virus is over. He tried one type of cream and now he's using another, but the best thing is to have the dermatologist put whoever has it under ultraviolet light in their office because that seems to help the most.....now it's almost gone.

How long did it take for this to go away since he's been usin ultraviolet light? I am 15 yrs old n hav it and itches soo much but on my second week here the itching is starting to go away but the little red spots are starting to peel and I can't stand it it's a total nightmare so I looked up everything on the Internet here and I find the best way to get rid of it is go to a tanning bed which I guess is the best solution because it's winter and I live in northern Alberta and I just wanna kno how long it takes before I do this