Hello. I'm very worried about my sister and I would appreciate any extra information about this subject. You see, about a week ago she has noticed some pear shaped pink patch on her back. At the beginning it looked like some big acne and nothing more. But with time- it was getting bigger and bigger. Then one day she woke up covered with this pink rush! Of course, we have contacted her dermatologist immediately and he told us he will keep her in hospital because he suspects it could be some Pityriasis rosea. What the hell is that and is it dangerous? One more thing- why he kept her in hospital- is this disease contagious?

Hello. I understand you are very worried about your sister and that’s why I will try to explain you some things about this skin disorder.
Pityriasis rosea is skin disorder with characteristic rush that you’ve already described. It is considered to have a viral etiology!
It usually starts with a single, so called -herald lesion and then after few days- rush occurs.
Although this skin disorder may occur in more than one person in one house, it is not considered to be highly contagious.
It can be easily treated with gentle bathing, mild creams.
Even some mild hydrocortisone creams may be used to reduce inflammation and itching. Don’t worry about your sister- she’ll be home in no time!