My brother is 20 years old which why I found it strange he got these symptoms. We have noticed rash that lasts for a weak already. He visited his doctor who diagnosed him with pityriasis rosea. I would like to know more about this condition. Is surgery required, because I have heard one friend of mine had surgery to get rid of pityriasis rosea?

Pityriasis rosea is rash that commonly occurs in people between 10 and 35, so it is not strange at all your brother catch it in his age. This kind of rash can last from several weeks to several months, depends from person to person. Usually there are not noticed permanent marks, but some darker skinned persons may develop long lasting flat brown spots. Pityriasis rosea is most common in the spring and autumn. This condition often does not require any treatment and it usually goes away by itself. However, treatment may include external or internal medications for itching problem. Usually this is something annoying so doctors practice prescribing medications to solve itching at least. Soothing medicated lotions and lubricants may be prescribed to help with this problem. Sometimes anti-inflammatory medications such as corticosteroid may be necessary to stop itching or make the rash go away. It is very important that your brother is reassured that this disease is not a dangerous skin condition.

I have pityiasis Rosea right now, it can last between 6-10 weeks or even up to 3 months, its annoyinging i have a dancing concert in 2 weeks and have the rash for 3 and its still getting worse , you can get laser treatment to try get rid of it but other than that there is no way to cure it. use creams to stop the itching but my orthodontist had it when she was my age and she was told to put "Salsem Blue nti Danduff Shampoo on the rash and NOTwash it off nd just sleep in it, its slowling starting o go away,
the rash doesnt leave any scars and looks horibe but is totally harmless. good luck to your brother!

I was told that I had Pityriasis Rosea last fall of 2006, and was told that it would go away on its own within 4 t0 6 weeks. Well, it is now may 24 2007 and I still have 8 marks under my left breast line. I was not told anything about after affects such as scaring. So, I've been going this whole time with these remaining marks thinking that they were scars. Untill, i found out tonight that the rash doesn't leave any scaring behind. I have new spots on my neck now... and read that reocurances are uncommon. So, what is the deal. Why can't I rid myself of this? I have a wedding in 2 weeks to go to and what am I going to wear a Turtleneck?

I was just diagnosed with PR yesterday and my MD said that I will be getting more and more the next week. After that it stay the same/start clearing up. I have gone tanning before I got the PR and since the tanning helps, I have gone today (my first time with the PR). B4 the tanning, my spots did not itch but today they started itching. I am thinking that this is either due to the fact that its just running its course (non-itchy to itchy) or this is due to the tanning (maybe the spots are getting aggravated). Any thoughts ?

I actually was diagnosed yesterday with PR, and I have had spots for two weeks, so 6 more to go, woo hoo. Anyway, I also had no itching and went tanning today and feel like they have itched a bit more, and honestly I see a few more. I am trying to tell myself that they are running their course as well, but still not sure. My dermatologist told me to go tanning, so she has to be right, right??

I wouldn´t recommend tanning with the spots. It will surely become itchy and worse. I ve read in another forum that Head and Shoulders shampoo helps to reduce the itching. I just tried myself and it´s working.

I have had this now for almost 7 weeks and about 2 weeks ago got so bad and the itching was unbarable. started on my stomach and back then went on my chest neck behind my ears and very bad now on the legs. Then started getting better on my neck ears and chest is gone but ligt pink marks on stomach and back and still really bad on my legs. Its like it starts clearing from head down. This is on the tops of my hand also. I am worried that this is psoriosis so I had a skin biopsy waiting for the results in a few days. I have been tanning so many times. Started using a steriod cream but nothing seems to stop the itching. I have dead skin flakes everywhere. Can anyone tell me if this sounds liek pit rosea? I have some big spots and little bumps now. I am covered all over my body even had them on my sculp and dandruff. Please anyone tell me anything?

why don't you try to go to a dermatologist.it can be psoriasis or pityriasis rosea.pityriasis has so many types. mine lasted 6 weeks. my derma asked me to take clarithromycin 2x a day and daivobet cream every night.its kind a expensive.it cure my rash but my pityriasis leave a scar on my legs only.its unsighful.try taking vitamins to boost your immune system and they said sun is also good for curing pityriasis and psoriasis.

I was told about 5 weeks ago that I had PR, the doctor told me it was harmless but could last up to 3 months. and tried creams, head and shoulders and everything else - nothing worked until on the 3rd week I went to the tanning bed everyday for 5 days and took 1 Telfast daily to stop the itch and I killed it completely. It is gone, no signs of the rash at all. I hope it never returns. it was a horrible 3 weeks. The tanning bed is what got rid of it. it hates the sun. I noticed it going away after my third visit.

Ok tanning beds are not good for us either but I also visit the skin cancer clinic and couldn't cope with that awful rash, it was horrible.

If i see any signs of it returning I will be straight back to the tanning bed.

:-( hi, i am going on three months of suffering with pityriasis rosea. i have gone to 2 doctors and 2 dermatologists. one dermo overprescribed a topical steroid cream and now i have dark stretch marks all over my stomach. BEWARE of steroid cream and doctors who overprescribe it!!! these stretch marks are permanent scars to my body now. to make things worse, my rash is still raging on. i went to a new dermo and she gave me SARNA anti-itch lotion. it provides me temporary relief but what i want to know is WHEN WILL THIS NIGHTMARE end??? i can't go anywhere without long shirts and long pants...yesterday it was 90 degrees in Los angeles!

I had pityriasis rosea for about 2 months. The first weeks a few dots but by 2 1/2 weeks I had several dots all over my stomach, legs, arm pits, arms and neck. None on my face and very few on my hands. It was not too itchy although tough to shower with warm water. Only time will heal this. I took cold shower and lightly washed my body with a cloth. The scars are still with me.
Two months later I have a few dots showing up again on my stomach and chest. It might be returning but not that bad as before. Hopefully this will not develope as bad as the first case. I still have scars from before. Time will only heal this. Luckly its September and the weather is cooler. The first time I had this it was the end of June and humid and warm. If its hot outside this pityriasis is tough.

the best way is to tan it will look worse at first then after couple days it a start clearing up i did not believe it till i tryed it..another way is to ask your doctor for some betamethasone dip cream this will get rid of the spots for a week are two but usually comes back..i used the cream and when it cleared up i went to the beach and layed out in the sun when i got home the spots all came back cause of the sun but cleared up couples days later and never came back..try this it really works.

Would you be able to use fake tan stuff or anything like that?I really do not like to tan using tanning beds or the sun. Let me know?

I was 12 years old when I was told by the doctor I had "Christmas tree disease", I guess to make it easier for me to remember (pityriasis rosea came up on my Google search). I am a dark skinned African, and although the rash went away after a few weeks, to this day I still have flat dark spots all over my legs. So I'm not too sure where the whole "no scarring" bit comes from. I had a dermatologist tell me they will "go away on their own"----It's been EIGHT YEARS. After the 7th grade I stopped wearing skirts, dresses, shorts, anything that would show my legs because people would ask me if I had the chicken pox. I'm now in my 3rd year of university and I've recently begun wearing those things again (albeit self-consciously) because the marks seem to be fading away. I've been massaging vitamin E oil and/or extra virgin coconut oil on my legs, sporadically I admit. I also recently bought 100% pure argan oil, so just yesterday I mixed a bunch of oils together to hopefully use daily. I've tried Bio Oil, it doesn't work, it was a waste of money. My current mixture of oils include: 56,000IU vitamin E oil (GNC), 100% castor oil (GNC), 100% jojoba oil (GNC), extra virgin coconut oil (GNC), a couple drops of 100% tea tree oil (GNC), and 100% pure argan oil (you can get it from Sephora but I got it much cheaper online). Hope this helps with the scarring!