Hi, I have a question regarding my friend. She is a fifty years old woman. For some time she was feeling very strange. Her mouth is very dry and because of that she drank a lot of water. But dry mouth was not the only problem. She also complained about breathing difficulties. The doctor said that she has Sjogren’s syndrome that has also caused sinus problems. What can you tell me about it?

Hi, your friend has a bit of complicated condition. Sjogren’s syndrome is an autoimmune disease. It is caused, like every other condition of this group, by our own immune system. It keeps us safe from the threats that attack our organism. Sometimes, some tissue of our organism is seen by the immune system as that threat. As a result, a large number of antibodies are created that fight the “enemy”. In the case of Sjogren’s syndrome the enemies are moisture producing glands. Usual symptoms of this illness are dry eyes and, like with your friend, dry mouth. However, it can also affect other parts of the body. It is known that, as a consequence of Sjogren’s syndrome, problems with sinuses appear. Such is sinusitis. In the patients that suffer from Sjogren’s syndrome sinusitis lasts longer. Symptoms of it are nasal dryness, postnasal drip and cough that can lead to more serious conditions like bronchitis or pneumonia. The good thing is that there are medications that help with sinusitis.