Is there such a thing? I'm tweaking my schedule and tossing in some occasional 5km runs, largely to bump my weekly mileage a bit. Which is exactly how some "running engineers" define junk miles. Personally, I believe a mile is a mile is a mile...they're all good.

Is it even possible to have an unproductive mile?

No such thing. During these virtual races I may add a few miles but none of them are junk.

All quality no matter how I feel.

I know what you are referring to. I used to hate just plain old boring 'easy runs'.

I needed a purpose for each and every run. So, even I, at one point, considered some of those as junk miles. Now, I have reconsidered a little. I try to make every run have a purpose, not just for running, but long runs build endurance, lt runs for that purpose, pace runs for that purpose, and my slow runs are for recovery...I have to approach them as such to help my legs recover from more difficult days.

So, for me, no more junk miles...now that I have learned to put a purpose into every workout.

nope.....I switched my belief about "junk" miles. Junk miles or easy runs have a purpose.....it keeps the muscles loose, the blood pumping....to recover for my core runs......that is the purpose of my "junk" miles. Since I only have two core runs a week (intervals and long run).....most of my miles are "junk"....................so, no I don't have any "junk" miles.

However......I do sometimes fall into "no mans land" and I guess that could be considered junk. No mans land = miles run too hard to be easy and too easy to be called hard. I try to stay away from these miles......but some days when you're out on an easy run and you just feel so good...it's hard.......or on days when you should be doing an 8 minute recovery run and some lady thinks she's gonna pass you on the roadside.....well, we can't let that happen, can we?