I have been experiencing pain in my throat for a long time. At first, I did not visit my doctor thinking that it will go away. However, it did not go away and the pain only increased. My doctor told me that I have peritonsillar abscess. Can you tell me more about my condition and how is it treated.

Peritonsillar abscess is a complication of tonsilitis ant this condition is caused by a group a beta-hemolytic streptococcus. Peritonsillar abscess is generally a disease of older children and young adults. Since the use of antibiotics to treat tonsillitis this condition has become relatively uncommon. One or both tonsils become infected and the infection may spread over the roof of the mouth and to the neck and chest, including the lungs. This can lead to a life-threatening medical emergency because the swollen tissues may obstruct the airway. The most common symptoms of peritonsillar abscess are soar throat, swollen glands of the throat, drooling, headaches etc. Treatment consists of curing the infection and relieving symptoms. If the infection is bacterial antibiotics may be given. In sever cases, surgery to remove the tonsils may be considered and this procedure is called tonsillectomy. Peritonsillar abscess usually responds to treatment, however, it may recur.