Hello! I am Mary and I am twelve. I have to do my tonsillectomy next week. Since I had many problems related to them my doctor recommended surgery. My tonsils are enlarged and I have bad breath which makes me feel uncomfortable at school. My mother explained everything regarding the surgery and I am not afraid since she is going to be close by. How much school will I miss due to tonsillectomy?

Hello! You will need at least seven to ten days to rest at home after the surgery. That means ten days off school. When you start with school you should tell you teachers that you had a tonsillectomy and that you should not exercise at least three weeks. If you are diving you will have to wait six to seven weeks to dive again. Don't forget to drink plenty of fluid after the surgery (but nothing hot) and to rest in the bed with your head elevated on few pillows.