Hello! My son is seven years old and he has to remove his tonsils. He had many throat infections and his doctor said that his tonsils were of no benefit to him. Since they caused so many infections and also became enlarged the doctor recommended surgery. He explained almost everything regarding the procedure but my son is extremely scared about undergoing tonsillectomy. I started to be scared too. What should I do?

Hello! It is completely normal that your son is scared. Most children have fear of the unknown. It is very important to prepare him in advance. The best is to organize a hospital tour. It would be good to view various rooms which your son will visit during and after his surgery. Make an appointment with his surgeon and show him a surgical mask and cap. This will help to take away much of the unknown which actually scares him. Explain him the procedure in easily understandable terms and answer all his questions honestly. You son has to know that you are going to be there for him and he will not be scared.