Hello! My doctor told me that I have virus tonsillitis and he prescribed me anti inflammatory medications, resting, taking fluids. But he did not prescribe me any antibiotic. This is very odd to me and I want to ask you next: will tonsillitis caused by virus go away on its own or my doctor made mistake? Thank you!

Hello! I can tell you for sure that your doctor has not made any mistake. Namely, if your tonsillitis is caused by virus, antibiotics could make you condition worse then it is now. This means that your immune system will need to fight on its own with this kind of tonsillitis. It is recommended taking vitamins, too.

antibiotics are for bacterial infections. viruses are not treatable. your body must fight off infection on its own.

Hi there,
Tonsillitis is a condition where your tonsils get inflamed due to viral or bacterial infections. The fact is that our body in some cases can be strong enough to treat this on its own but in many cases you will benefit if you take some antibiotics to help your body with the infection in your throat. You can try to take supplements like vitamins, especially vitamin C. Have you had any problems with your tonsils ever before? If you have recurrent tonsillitis then you can even consider to have a surgery to get your tonsils out and avoid any further complications. You will only have to go through the recovery process which can last up to four weeks.
All the best,
Danella