My 8 year old daughter told me she has a "bone" behind her left nipple. I checked it and she has a hard pea sized knot behind the left nipple. I am wondering if anyone out there might have a clue as to what this might be? She had a calcium deposit on that same nipple as a toddler which has since disappeared so I am wondering if it went below the surface perhaps? My daughter will be 9 in the beginning of January, could she be starting puberty already? I read that they can start puberty as early as 8 and I myself was an early bloomer having started to develop early and having my first period at the age of 12. She is a very active and fit little girl without an ounce of fat on her so it wouldn't be weight related. I look forward to hearing your input.

Thanks,

Concerned momma

My 8 yr.old also had a pea size knot on her left breast. I did take her to a Doctor who deals with hormons and he assured me she is fine and is likely going through early puberty.I was relieved it wasn't anything bad..Hope this helps

katkat430, that is a HUGE relief. My father (her maternal grandfather) just passed away this past July 28th from cancer and we live/lived with him and my mom so my daughter watched him suffer through the whole illness. Our biggest fear is that of course. I am relieved to hear that another 8yo has the same. Was you're daughters hard or soft when you checked it? My daughter likened it to a "bone" initially but today said its softer now. I have an appointment with her pediatrician in the morning to have it checked but we are all on pins and needles here. I have recently noticed mood swings as well so I am leaning more and more towards early development. I was an early bloomer and so were my mom and her sisters. I had my first cycle at the age of 11 1/2 and my mom had her 1st at 10 1/2 and her oldest sister at 9 1/2. What type of doctor was it you took your daughter too that deals with hormones? Just in case I require a referal I wonder what type of doctor would deal in that? I had thought perhaps an OBGYN but wasn't sure since she is just 8. Seems odd to take an 8 year old to an OBGYN, but if that is where I find someone who specializes in hormones then that is where we will go.

you say her oldest sister start her period at 9 1/2. i think puberty sound about normal for your family at 8 1/2 she start puberty and she wall start have her period in about a year. do think she hes any other sing of puberty.
Have good Day

J-save