I have a problem. I have very itchy scrotum, which is especially intense at night. I have no other symptoms, like rashes or similar. What could be the cause for itching?

Hey,
Maybe you have scabies. I had them and was having very itchy scrotum, which was especially apparent at night. Best would be if you would see your doctor to get professional opinion on this matter.

You might also consider epididmitis being a cause. I recently had this infection ( not an STD by definition ) but is a bacterial infection. The itching and possible tingling will occur when you are sitting/laying down most often. Easy way to ID this being the cause is the feel the very base of your testicales on both sides. You are trying to feel if the small coil of vein/tubes ( they are shaped like a pyrimade, but will be upside down ) on the very bottom of the testicales are inflammed.

Under normal conditions they will be the size of roughly a chocolate chip ( chocolate moursel, like in cookies...), if they are any larger by a noticeable amount, then you can suspect this might being the problem ( epididimitis)This condition can be triggered by alot of things, just anytime bad bacteria travels down the penis shaft from sweating or not changing underwear often enough can cause it. I encountered mine through sex ( again, it isnt considered an STD, )

Treatments are to take a antibiotic for about 4 weeks or so. The problem should go away, but under sever cases can be reoccuring in which case you get more med's. You can pass this on if your having sex without a condom, but that is the only way to pass it. Be aware that you can give this to a girlfriend ,she may not be aware of it, and you could end up passing the problem back in forth. You must refrain from sex for the duration of the medecine, so that when you med's run out , and if you gave it to your girl, the bacteria doesnt come back to you. She will have a similar itching problem if she catches it.

CAUSE OF SCRATCHY SCROTUM AT NIGHT

hi i think you have the same cases of my father and i want to treat because he is depress of getting out itchiness and he is seeking many dermatology i hope this symptoms will disappear asap.. take care

This is a common problem. There are 2 distinct groups roughly divided as under 50's/single males and over 50's/monogamous males . Under 50's are more likely to be a std or bacterial infection transmitted during sex. You do not state your age but this seems to be a larger problem for the over 50's. Having ruled out the most common causes such as std's, lice, scabies, fungus, yeast infections & bacteria, not to mention diabetes, we can begin to look at other causes: But first, before you move on - do you have any foot or toe nail infections? If so, Treat these first or together as the bacteria here can mutate to other skin areas via the ever present staph on the skin, (Staphylococcal) which will spread other bacterial and even fungal infections modifying them for other skin conditions. Most fungal and bacterial infections of the feet can be treated with Lamisil Once, which is an absorbed skin product that lasts for many months. One more thing to consider before we move on: washing powder and softeners; Laundry products can cause many skin irritations. Having examined all the above:-
For the over 50's Itchy scrotum often comes down to a change in hormone levels with age. If the irritation has been accompanied with a general decline in energy levels, a feeling of more vulnerability and or sexual drive/erectile dysfunction then you may be suffering from age related low testosterone or androgen production. While general testosterone levels in the blood may read 'normal' the 'free testosterone' (bio available T) is seldom tested unless you see an endocrinologist. You may want to discuss with the endocrinologist 'primary or secondary hypogonadism'. You may also notice that your beard growth has slowed, and that skin on the shins is thinning and drying and may also be itchy. Other related incidents are stress caused by major surgery and serious heart conditions like MI's - all cause body stress and can be physiological, psychological or a mixture of both, even bouts of depression, all have effects on physical hormone changes.
So how do we treat itchy scrotum (other than scratching all day and night)?
Long term, trying to correct imbalances in hormone levels may be a long process to explore with a specialist and one which may or may not work but you need to explore this as a possible long term treatment because it may not only help relieve itching but it may well transform your energy levels and life expectancy if you get this right! Short term, some creams may help, antihistamine, or cortisol based creams. Wash and dry properly two or 3 times a day. Change underpants twice a day. Get rid of those ridiculous briefs - you're not 20 any more - go buy some proper pants with a gusset and a scrotum pouch that keeps your scrotum out of contact with your legs. Loose some weight, more overweight men suffer with scrotum itch than thin men! Fact!
If creams only provide short lived relief for you then try a medicated powder such as Lanacane Powder. It medicates, dry's and soothes. Ideal for a good nights sleep. I know this next bit is grose, but, if you dribble urine onto your scrotum, or are lucky enough to have sex at your age, wash immediately and dry properly, powder up! I'm afraid that just as women suffer from hot flushes during their change, the men's version is often itchy balls & just like the women, we have to live with it the best we can! I hope this helps. Fred, (Clinical Medical Researcher).

I've suffered with 'itchy scrotum' since I was 15 (fifty years ago). There are no symptoms whatsoever and the only cause any GP has ever suggested is 'over-active nerve endings'. The itch is masked by an anaesthetic cream called 'Eurax' which I apply once a day and have done for all these years (or whatever the equivalent cream was in the past).. It doesn't bother me at all but it's annoying to have something which appears to be incurable.

thanks... I have been dealing with this for years

A lack of folic acid can cause itchiness.

Thank you....Great suggestions.

Ok guys,

I HAD this for almost a year, but I think I had a minor case of it for almost 5 years total. I finally figured it out two days ago. Your scrotum is really warm/hot and moist and irritated due to an infection. I tried all the stuff, all the creams, antifungals, powders, etc. Only a certain combination of items worked for me. I sit here itch free typing this and its great! I want to help everyone cause I know how badly you can suffer from it. It will ruin your life even make you suicidal. DO NOT GIVE UP! It can be fixed! I'll let you know now I don't eat alot of CARBS and SUGAR so it might be helping. BUY THESE ITEMS:

Tea Tree Shampoo: Wash your pubic hair and scrotum and let set for 5 minutes then rinse. (DAILY)

Aloe Vera Gel: Apply while in shower AFTER Shampoo and let set for a few minutes then rinse (DAILY)

THIS HANDLES THE EXTERNAL PART OF THE INFECTION (I think its a yeast related issue)

Probiotic pills (Acidophilus): Take 1 of these ever day (This eliminates infection inside)

Mens health vitamins: Take of these every day (I looked for Zinc and Riboflavin in them, I think we need it)

THIS HANDLES THE INFECTION INTERNALLY

You might also want to stop using any SPICY FOODS or Sauce for a while as it supposed to kill our good bacteria in our stomach which is the opposite of using probiotics.

After 2 days of using these items, Let me know your feedback. IT WORKED FOR ME. No more insanity itch. Its such a burden on our lives and life is too short to be dealing with it. I'll post this on other sites that people are looking for an answer as well.

BEST OF LUCK,