When you have your IUD removed does it change your menstral cycle?

do the doctors put a iud in while your on your cycle

I'm sorry to but in on someone else's question, but it won't let me post my own. I wanted to know what you all thought of this. I've had a mirena IUD for about 3 and half yrs. I've never had any problems with it, as a matter of fact I loved it. I had very very lite periods and they only happened about every 2 or 3 months. Wednesday morning I woke up to some major cramps and heavy bleeding that is still going on today. Well now for the personal part, when I went to the bathroom, I felt something stick me, it was my strings. I just barely moved them and my IUD fell out. Could I have had a miscarriage? A friend of mine said that it was possible, that could explain the abnormal pain, bleeding and the IUD coming out all at once. I can't get in to see the doc till tuesday, so I have all weekend to wonder. Just wanted some other opinions and to see if maybe someone else had went through this.