I started out having what i thought was a bladder infection about 3 1/2 weeks ago. After about 2 weeks of it coming and going (the feeling of needing to urinate often, it burning a little and pain down in the I guess groin area), I started feeling alot of pain in my lower back and sometimes in my abdomen. The pain in my abdomen moves around, it is not always in the same area. The lower back and abdomen pain has been giong on for about 1 week to 1 1/2 weeks. I also have not had a normal menstration this month or last. Last month it was very light and shorter than normal, 2 days instead of 4. I almost have not had one at all this month. I started today, should have yesterday, but have only seen bloody discharge. I'm wondering if I have a kidney infection and also if very light menstration is a part of a kidney infection? Also, I take birth control, is it possible that I am having a miscarriage? I am going to the doctor tommarow I am just wondering what anyone thinks.

I am not sure that a kidney infection would affect your periods. The symptoms of kidney infection appear rapidly and suddenly. Some of them could resemble UTI. The most common symptoms of a kidney infection are pain in the lower back. It is said that pain in the lower back is one of the most common kidney symptoms although pain in the lower back could appear due to spine and nerve problems as well as hormonal (like during PMS). Burning during urination is a sign of both kidney infection and UTI, but in a kidney infection is burning your eyes out. Low-grade fever appears at the initial stages of the infection but it could rise if not treated. You would feel very week and fatigue.
If you have been regularly taking your birth control pills, the chances of getting pregnant are minimal.
Good luck at the doctor’s tomorrow. Hope everything turns out just fine.

hi, now that I'm reading your post I wonder if u finally found out what was happening to you because I'm experiencing the SAME symptoms, just the SAME, can u help me?? what did u have???.

Just a little FYI * I went to the doctors today because of a missing period and Severe abdominal pain not occuring all the time. Blood in the urine is NOT any how part of / related to kidney infections. However...Kidney stones are. Keep us posted on how you are doing I would like to know. If any one has any advice for me I would appreciate it.

I also have this problem although i have been to the doctor and had a urine sample and they found nothing. Any ideas?

Pain as you've described certainly can be related to a UTI- bladder infection. It could also signal a kidney infection, but you'd probably have a fever with that one. Blood in the urine is also UTI and bladder infection. I know, because these are my symptoms. I went to emergency several days ago with so much blood in the urine that it looked liked tomatoe juice. It still ended up being a bladder infection, AND I didn't have the burning when peeing, just the lower pains. Not everyone has all identical symptoms. You need antibiotics.