I suffer of rheumatoid arthritis for years now. Like it was not hard enough to me, but lately I have noticed something is wrong with my jaw. I guess I have arthritis of the jaw joint, but I do not know if that is possible. I wonder if anyone can give me an explanation on this topic. I have never heard someone had this problem and arthritis on this part of the body so I am a little bit confused.

It is possible that arthritis involve temporomandibular joint, and then you feel arthritis in your jaw. You did not hear about this before, because this condition is quite rare. The most common type is inflammatory arthritis of the TMJ. It happens in patients who have severe arthritis of some other joints, which is probably your case too. Unfortunately, like arthritis elsewhere, it tends to cause painful swollen joints with limited movement. Problem with arthritis jaw is complication with progression this disease, causing joint destruction. That might lead to increased pain and decreasing movement. Now I do not know if you have more joints affected with arthritis. If you do not, you have to know that TMJ is rare first joint who could be affected with arthritis. That is why you should go to your doctor and perform MRI scanning.