I have asked several people about this problem (allergist, doctor, TMJ doctor, and dentist) but none have really heard of this problem.

When I'm eating sometimes my temples start to swell on the side of my head. It becomes painful and then I get a headache in my forehead. The swelling goes down after a few minutes, but my headache lingers.
It happens quite frequently now for a couple of years.

My allergist is having me keep a food diary when it happens. He said I have a slight allergy to peanuts, corn, milk, and eggs. And a SEVERE tree nut allergy with anaphalaxis.

At night I use a bite plate so I don't grind my teeth as much.

Anythoughts? Thank you

I have this exact same problem....are taking any supplements, nitrix, no explode, or creatine? What about Viagra or somethng similiar?

I just had swollen temples when chewing tortilla chips, I went to the doctor and he thinks it's a food allergy. I also had some dried goji berries before the chips. I have researched swollen temples and some suggest that it is damage to the masserteric muscle. I have an erupted wisdom tooth on one side and have not had it pulled. I am leaving this option open. I am now going to keep a food journal because I am allergic to many different foods. I now have to carry an epi pen and I am going to see if I am allergic to foods that contain gluten. I am going to have my tooth pulled ASAP and see if there is any difference when I chew hard food. It happend with 2 types of tortilla chips, but not with carrots, so... I think that the food journal is my next step, then my tooth being pulled. He also said to stay away from peanuts, and berries of any kind. The only side effect that I have is a severe headache, which is most of the time related to tooth discomfort in my case.

I have the same exact problem. I also have a bite plate, just had my wisdom teeth pulled, and have allergies. This has been happening for about six months now and I believe it's due to either a food allergy, cialis, or nitric oxide workout supplements

I also had this problem for the first time the same day I tried Goji berries for the first time. Although it was a few hours after I ate them. It seemed like an interesting coincidence that someone else also ate goji berries and had this problem.

I still have a little pressure on the sides of my head. Has anyone found an answer to what causes this swollen temple problem???? Is it sinuses, allergies?

My boyfriend was eating some mixed nuts and all of a sudden his right temple area had swelled he had no headache or any other symptoms he drank some water and stoped eating the swelling went down in minutes but the next day he was eating subway and had the same problem is this something we should worry about?

It's nothing to worry about. It's a rare condition called Temporalis Hypertrophy, where the muscle area in your temples get over worked so when you're eating they expand like a body builder pumping iron. You might get a slight headache also when you eat.

You need to go to your dentist who should refer to a specialist. They used to have to carry out surgery for this but now they just put Botox in the muscles which send them to sleep. It can be a bit uncomfortable but doesn't really hurt.

I've suffered from this condition for about two years and it is really confusing when you don't know what's wrong. I wouldn't eat in public for ages.

Here's an article you can read;

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BUM/is_3_82/ai_99618590/

I had this problem in the past while chewing candy coated peanuts.
later it went away.
Now it has returned and reoccurred when chewing Doritos chips.
It may be jaw motion but I do suffer from severe alergies and have been taken allergy meds such as zertec,prednizone etc.
Has anyone been taking allergy meds? I am thinking this may be a side affect to the meds.
I am dealing with new strange things weekly now. Feels like something in the food is causing all of these problems.

MSG,added to foods may be the problem.

GO GET YOUR WISDOM TOOTH PULLED OUT AND YOUR PROBLEM WILL BE SOLVED!!! I had the same problem and noticed it after my wisdom tooth erupted and lived with it for over a year. As soon as I got it pulled out, it went away LITTLE BY LITTLE and now it's COMEPLETLY GONE. It took a good 3 months until it was finally gone. It was also mainly my right side which was the side with the wisdom tooth.

Hi Guys!
I thought I was the only one with this problem. I've noticed my temples swelling when I chew tortilla chips, Grape Nuts, and it's really bad when I have salsa (mild)! I'm so embarrassed that I will never put my hair up when I am eating out. It's like I have to golf balls on each side. I've spoken to a couple of dentists, and they have suggested that I am clenching my teeth at night. I have a nightguard, but it's not helping, and it only happens when I eat chewy, hard food. The muscles in that area do get tired right away when I have hard food. I'm sick of it, and want it to be fixed right now. I wish it was the wisdom tooth thing for me, but I had them all pulled out years ago. I do have food allergies, but can tolerate all foods now (no hives, stomach aches, etc.). It has to do with the muscles. Has anyone had the botox treatment that the other reader suggested?

i have this same problem, i have had my only 2 WISDOM TEETH  out but i have to say this has not helped, it is agony if i eat popcorn or pringles etc i grind my teeth in my sleep but cannot have a gumshield as theyre made of rubber or latex and im allergic to both and several other things i have decided i am just a weirdo ha ha.

Hi there :)  Thank you for sharing your experience.  I have a bit of an unconventional suggestion, but you may want to look into doing a parasite cleanse as outlined by Dr. Hulda Clark in the book 'The Cure For All Diseases'.  As ALL unwelcome physical pain is nothing more than dis-ease. Im not saying a parasite cleanse will help, but I am saying that most doctors have no clue about health and healing. They are nothing more than drug pushers. And there are a vast array of dis-eases connected to non-symbiotic parasites being present in our body. Looking into alternative methods of diagnosing will lead you to the cause of your issue, and an alternative method of prescribing will help to eliminate the effects of that cause. Its been a year since your post, but I do hope MY post helps you or whoever is reading it at this moment.

Do you grind your teeth on a daily or nightly basis? I used to grind my teeth when I pet my dog and when I got mad. I know, the grinding from petting my dog is weird but a lot of people do it. I actually wouldn't get the same pleasure from petting my dog if I didn't do it but now after like around 6 months of resisting, I don't feel the need to do it. Anyway, I also stopped grinding when mad. My temples don't swell up anymore after 6 months of hard discipline. During these last couple of months, I've actually been feeling something going on in my temples which happens radomly and last a few seconds. Maybe It's my temples repairing themselves after many months of not grinding? I think so! I'll update in 6 months or sooner. Feel free to reply if you have any questions.

My temples also got swollen, I do not really know the cause. The Dr. said he did not see nay problem, just monitor it and will go for CT scan once they continue to become bigger. Both of my temples are not painful when pressed. I'm bothered since it seems that this is not normal. Does anyone know the possible causes?