Hello, I am 21 years old and I just had a bunionectomy on my big toe and also a Tailors Bunionectomy, and two hammertoe corrections on May 18th. I was wondering if the pin removal is very painful, and how long do they usually wait to remove the pins??

I found the pin removal to be nearly pain-free. After my first bunionectomy I had the pins removed at around 4 weeks post-op. I was completely awake, but they numbed my leg below the knee. They made a small incision, which I didnt feel at all, then pulled out the pin. It felt a little wierd, you can feel slight pressure and pulling, but it didnt hurt at all.

Good luck!

I had a bunionectomy on boht feet over the years and I have had hammer toe surgery on one toe and the bone removed from my big toe and and had it replaced with a screw at the same time. the pin removal was a brees, I wasn't given anything to numb any part, my doctor started telling my a funny story and then began twisting the pin and by the time the pin was out I never even realaized that he was pulling it out, it just felt lke he was tugging on my toe! Pulling ! the stitches out drove me nuts!

I just had the pin removed yesterday at the 6 week mark.  My pin was under the surface and more through the foot than the toe.  For me, it was the most painful part of the whole procedure.  Did not find the post surgery period that bad.  However, the pin removal was the worst so far of the whole experience.  After spraying the foot with numbing stuff, he injected more stuff that burned and hurt a lot.   There was a lot of pulling and tugging and bone tapping sounds to get the pin out (wore headphone and listened to music)  Last night I had terrible burning and throbbing pain -- took my first Vicodan -- which didn't help.  This morning I looked under the bandage and saw active blood welling out of the area with the stitches.   Called md who said to take it easy today.         UGGHH -- and I'm supposed to do foot #2 in 2 weeks. 

Does pin removed hurt

my doctor is putting me to sleep to remove a pin and a screw that was put in my foot during bunionectomy. They had been there for a year

How did the removal go, I’m having mine removed after 10 years soon, having a general anaesthetic but I’m wondering what the recovery was like once they came out?