My dr used a permanent pin with my hammertoe surgery almost 5 years ago. It has caused me nothing but grief and pain. I don't know of anyone else whose dr used the permanent pin. if someone exists i would love to hear from them. i don't understand why the dr did this to me. the pin is terrible. everyone else seems to get the removable pin which i which i had. i also heard after 5 years it is next to impossible to have it removed for fear of other or worse pain/problems.

let me know

I am so glad I found this!! My pins are in for 7 years and the pain s awful!

Oh my gosh, I am so glad I found your post. I had 3 work done on my 3 middle toes in the beginning of January (2 months ag) and was not aware that I'd have permanent pins placed in them until AFTER surgery! I keep hoping it will get better but you literally see the pins through my skin and they are extremely uncomfortable and painful! Does anyone know if I can have these removed? Please advise. Thank you!

I am sorry that you are having such a hard time with your surgery. I had bunion and hammertoe surgery 3 month ago. The bunion is now giving me no issues but I too am having a hard time with the permanent pin. The toe can no longer bend which makes it seems like my foot "flops" when I walk. I feel it at times and it's becoming more uncomfortable. I am going to schedule another appointment with the md next week and based on what your experience has been I want to hear what options there are for me. I hope you have better success going forward and don't give up there may be another surgeon that can help you. To anyone reading these posts DO NOT get the permanent pin correction surgery!

I had a bone spur and instead of opening my toe up with a small incision and filing down the spur the Doctor treated me as if I had a Hammeryoe when I did not! He put in a permanent pin and never told me! I just now found out because I accidentally stubbed the toe and went in for an ex-ray. He then told me there was a pin in my pinky toe. It is always red, swollen. I get sharp pains in it and burning g sensations and after 9 months it hSnt improved one bit! I know why this Foctor did this to me! Money! The surgery for the bone spur would have been nothing and would have taken very little time. This way he got 9600.00 from my insurance company! Imagine that. I'm going to suit him for this since as it looks right now I'm going to need another surgery for it to get better. The pins can move and then ya need another surgery. That's probably what's gonna happen. My toenail won't grow on that toe either! Nice going Doc, cause me extra pain and frustration of not being able to wear my own shoes! I'm a woman, I have a closet full of shoes! Can't even wear them!

I just had two permanent pins put in each foot. Fourth toe. Hasn't been pleasant so far. I'm beginning to think I made the wrong choice!

I had pins put in my middle three toes on right foot about 5 years ago. It was a huge mistake, as the reason I did it was because my toes bothered me when I ran, but since operation I've not been able to run. I am continually fighting plantar fasciitus in this foot, and I think it is because the pins have affected how I walk, or land on this foot. Furthermore my toes are not comfortable. They are not actually painful, but just kind of annoying. The doctor was too casual about prescribing this treatment, saying I would be back to running in six months. I do not recommend this operation for anyone. Unless your toes are severely clawed, do not do this.

Wow! I feel like one of the lucky ones from reading this! I had the permanent pin put in 1 1/2 years ago for my hammer toe and then something awful happened. My 30 year old son passed away 2 months after the surgery. I went into a stupor of course but then I also starting noticing that this toe started growing in the opposite direction over the toe next to it and I also could not bend it and then started getting a callous on the inside of the toe because I walk everyday for exercise and it was hurting. The toe was very swollen for all this time as well. It was a mess! I finally went back to the doc a month ago because I couldn't think about it until then, given all I had been through and he x-rayed it and determined that the bones were not fusing. I went in for surgery this morning to correct it and he told me that he was planning to put a smaller pin in because the technology had gotten so much better. Then when I went home, my husband told me that once he got inside the toe, he decided to give me a removable pin and he felt like that would be the most useful treatment for me now and it is still the one that most people have great success with. I was so happy with this news! I suggest that you might talk about this at length when and if you have to do this with your doc. Good feedback here.

Oh goodness I thought I was going mad, I’ve had 3 surgeries on my right foot, first one in 2016 for bunion & 2nd toe osteotomy, the result was awful, second corrective surgery March 2017, surgeon out a permanent pin in my 3rd toe as it was crooked, have had nothing but trouble and pain from it, although consultant said pain in my 3rd toe was because of a neuroma that had developed. Back for surgery 3 last month, neuroma removed and osteotomy on 3rd & 4th toes, ball of foot feels good now but the pain in my 3rd toe with pIn is horrible. All my other toes I can bend up no problem, if I manipulate the 3rd toe with pin up, it is so painful

I’m unhappy with my permanent pin and am scheduled to have it removed in 2 weeks. this evening I see that the pin is PUSHING OUT! It’s still under the skin, but is clearly visible st the tip! Has this happened to anyone? I’m calling the Dr. office tomorrow, even thoug my Dr. is out this week. This is crazy!

Hi I'm 5 years in and still in pain. Iv been to a hospital appointment today and they have said they can't do anything. I struggle every day. Iv been getting pains in my knees as well for the last year or so. Do you have any advice. Xx