I have a friend who is diagnosed with hemorrhoids. I understand he visited doctor, because his symptoms were much worse then mine. I know his hemorrhoids were painful and bleeding so, it was emergency case. However, I am surprised because his doctor recommended him laser surgery on these hemorrhoids. I want to hear more about this procedure, what are good and bad sides of laser surgery.

Surgery may be required in stubborn cases, and these procedures include ligation, which is tying off hemorrhoid with a rubber band to strangulate it. Furthermore, it could be done sclerotherapy, which is injection of chemical to induce scarring. Commonly it is done cryosurgery that refers to freezing the hemorrhoid with liquid nitrogen, or coagulation by infrared light or laser. Hemorrhoidectomy means surgical removal, and is recommended as relieve for large painful and bleeding hemorrhoids. However, laser has gained popularity over the last several years as the easiest and least painful method of dealing with internal hemorrhoids. There is controversy about its efficacy, however, because repeated treatments are frequently required. Most researchers believe that more study should be done to improve effectiveness before laser treatment is routinely recommended to any patient that suffers of hemorrhoids. Benefits of this procedure include relief of the pain, swelling, bleeding, and itching that hemorrhoids can cause, and as your friend experienced as I could evaluate. Hemorrhoid surgery is very common and has very few risks, but as every surgery has some risks this one bring some. In addition, patients might have some trouble urinating because the pain makes it difficult to relax and allow urine to flow, but I would not be worried about laser surgery side effects.