My gran is 92 and has just being diagnosed with Late renal failure. She also has heart problems. I need to know how long she is expected to survive without treatment as the family feel that she would not be able to cope with being admitted to hospital , operations etc at her stage in life. She has got very poorly over the last month but can still walk about (very slowley). Her drink is being monitered and she is on tablets. Her tummy is swollen. and is in a little pain with her tummy.

Nobody can second-guess how long your granny will survive without treatment. Being admitted to the hospital does not necessarily mean that your granny has to undergo surgery or other harsh treatment protocol. Many terminal patients are given comfort care instead. I would like to mention that coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10), a nutritional supplement, has been shown to improve the kidney functions of end-stage kidney patients to the point that some of them can do away with dialysis.