Okay so I'm 18 and a freshman in college. I've had pains under my left breast since June--and in September it got very bad--to the point I thought I was having an anxiety attack. The room was spinning, my heart was palpatating, I was sweating--and just the night before My heart was palpatating pretty badly. So I went to the doctor and told her about it--they ran an EKG on me and the EKG came out fine. She took me off Caffeine for a month. When I returned a month later I still wasn't better. I was still having pains in my side under my breast, in my ribs. She told me caffeine was okay again and told me she thought that I may have inflammation in my ribs--so she put me on steroids which made me VERY sick and I could nto finish them. I went back to her yet again in November and they did a blood test and a chest xray. The chest xray turned out fine, and the blood test turned out fine, and she said they only thing they could think of would be an ulcer--I never went back. I've been fine but I just came home for Christmas break and I've felt horrible. I feel like I'm not getting enough air in my lungs when I breathe and it's making me feel bad, and I still hurt under my left breast and above it--and the other night when I lay down to go to bed I could almost feel my body vibrating and my heart was yet again palpatating. What could this be?

It sounds suspiciously like mitral valve prolapse or a related valve problem. Although it sounds bad, it usually isn't. It is a very common disorder that has the typical panic attacks and pains you describe. Have a doc check for a murmur if they haven't already.
Hope this helps!

I believe i have had symptoms extremely similar too your and have had every test under the sun and the doctor says I have a healthy heart and he believes it too be anxiety (which I find hard to believe as I've never worried about a thing in my life). Don't take my word for it though get checked out by a doctor and perhaps let me know if you manage to diagnose this thing.

Best Regards,

Nick

It sounds like to me you are suffering from panic attacks which is quite normal for somebody your age. I would suggest in addition to a full heart check (just to be on the safe side) you should read The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook by Edmund J. Bourne or a similar book. Bourne describes the different types of anxiety and phobias and gives helpful advice on how to cope with your condition i.e. relaxation techniques such as abdominal breathing

This is the first time I've found a person with the exact same symptoms. In the last 2 yrs I've hade rib pain (for me, lower right rib cage), heart palpitations, body twitches and "vibrating", and anxiety. I've had a clear EEG, x-rays, and bloodwork....nothing pops up. The strange, seemingly unconnected symptoms make me feel like a hypocondriac, but I know it's something. Because of the lower rib pain, I've been concerned about hepatitis, but my liver panel has shown up clean. My anxiety got so bad I got prescribed xanax. It did help my anxiety, but it didn't seem to help anything else. My next step is to find a new general practitioner. I'd like to know how your search for answers progresses so please keep posting. I'll do the same. Best of luck to you.

Lower Right rib pain could be your gallbladder. I had the same problem when I was pregnant. I had a gallbladder attack (I didn't know what was going on), which led to an increase in my HR and my blood pressure...landed me in the hospital b/c i was 7 months along at the time. When the dr examined me, he said it was my gallbladder. Needless to say, after I had my baby I had the gallbladder removed and it was full of stones. I asked why gallstones would cause my blood pressure and HR to rise. They said pain will cause that to happen.

I am speechless that I have finally found someone who has the exact same symptoms I have. I have pain below my right breast and right side along my ribs. I have had this for 2 years now. I have had mammagrams and ultrasounds on my right breast with nothing found. Doctors keep telling me I have anxiety, but i know that is not it. I also find myself breathless when I talk on the phone and feel chest pain. Interestlingly, I run 5-6 miles a day and feel no discomfort when I run. I feel like the midsection of my body is vibrating and feel heart palpatiations when I wake up in the morning. My resting heart rate is always in the 80's, which makes no sense considering the shape I am in and the amount of miles I run in a week. Please keep me updated if any of you find out what is wrong with you and know you are not crazy or anxious.

I am responding to the 18 year old in College experiencing this. I have been feeling the same way for 2 years and the doctors have been telling me it is anxiety and I know it is not. The medications they were putting me were not working, Prozac, Zoloft..ect. My pain is on the left side where my heart is under the breast and it is not even really pain, it is this discomfort. At night I feel my heart stop and I wake up to breath again, like a jerking sensation. I feel dizzy, faint like. I also smoke, so I have been trying to quit thinking that it is worse when I do smoke. If you find out anymore info, please post it because I am wondering what is going on and scared my heart is going to stop.

I actually have the same exact thing as you guys. I'm a 24 year old male, I'm hypothyroid but happen to be very thin and fit. I have heart palpitations pretty regularly, and my lower right rib hurts when I lay on my side. This has been going on for about 3 months now, all blood tests are normal. Weird.

i have the exact same symptoms ive been having heart palpations for 2 years now and i quite often get heart pain just below my left breast but this normaly lasts for an hour tops and the palpations arent that long, i am a fit and healthy 19 year old girl who doesnt smoke, ive had ECGs blood tests, electrocardiograms and they still dont know whats werong with me, last week i got the pain again but after 4 hours of extremely bad pain i went to hospital, as usual they didnt find anything and i went home, this pain carried on for a few days but not as bad and now a week later the frequency of my heart pain is much higher, i dont find that i am stressed although a few days ago i had 2 tests in one day and i wasnt fuly recovered and i found the stress brought back the pain, but i dont think it was initialy brought on by stress. cafene does increase the frequencyof palpatations so i cut that out as much as i can but i still get them, my resting pulse rate is way up 80s and 90s, and much higher during the pain. i know there has to be something wrong and i realy want to know what. i will keep posting if i find out.

again im in the same exact boat as you all. hopefully someone posts back with some idea. im relieved to see other people my age are going through this (im 23) and getting the same answers.....and not dying :-). i've had the same problems for about 6 months, it seems worse when i smoke or eat (i've quit smoking since) and is more pressing when i lay down for bed at night.

I have been having the EXACT same problem the last 2 years. I mean exactly what you described, i too went to the doctor who did an ekg and ultrasoung but found nothing. And then the other night it got so bad i almost blacked out like my heart almost wasnt pumping to the rest of my body and i was really dizzy. I dont know what to do, i also have tried cutting out caffeine( as i am a coffee junky) I just dont understand, im only 23 years old, what could it be. . and how can i stop it if the doctors cant help???????????

Hello, I am a thirty one year old woman . A few months ago I started having left arm pain one night that went away after a few minutes and then I started having chest pain a few days later. I felt so bad that I went to one of the local hospitals . the Dr. did an EKG and chest x-ray and blodd test and all was fine. My pulse was REAL HIGH. So ,the Dr did a blood test to check for blood clot. Nothing showed up.Told me I had an inflammed chest wall. Then I just put it off. Well, after that I had real bad chest pain one night and told my usband to take me to the other ER. I was told after having blood work and chest x-ray that I neede a gallbladder ultrasound. Well, they told me that I had gallstones. I had a gallstone attack ...that hurts very bad. I thought I was having a heart attack. It was horrible. Anyway, i am now on a fat free diet and I still have some pain .but not like it was. I hurt the most under my left breast when I do hurt nad have a lot of nausea. I am going to have my gallbladder out next month.I was just wondering if anyone has had the same symptoms with the left side pain and gallstones?

Again ive had the same symptoms. Ive had mine for a long time, probably since i was 7 or 8 years old. They went away for a coupple years but lately theyve been comming back. I dont have anxiety attacks though i just have the pain. Its almost as if im getting stabbed. It usually happends to me in the evening, and normally im already laying down. Idk whats causing it, but if anyone finds anything let me know.

G.E.R.D.
Even if you do not have heartburn problems you may still have GERD.
Even if your pain is on the right side of your chest.
Try an OTC acid blocking medication the next time you have symptoms.
I was surprised by the way it helped me.