My mother has just been diagnosed with dilated cardiomyopothy. She has an EF of 10. They have just implanted a difibulator in her and are putting her on medication. I am wondering about what her quality of life may be as well as life expectancy with this disease. Also am I as well as my kids at risk for developing this. :-(

When patients are diagnosed with dilated cardiomyopathy, they are usually given medications and recommended life style changes.
Patients should go on low-sodium diet and some of them may start to exercise. Not all of the patients should be exercising but those who should, have to perform light aerobic exercises. Their doctor usually makes that decision.

As for the genetics, it causes for more than 30% of dilated cardiomyopathy.
Most often, this condition doesn’t influence on the duration of life or the quality.

Statistics show that approximately 1/3 of patients die from the disease, 1/3 continues to have chronic heart failure requiring therapy, and 1/3 experience improvement in their condition.

I hope everything turns out well for your mother.