A girl in my neighborhood suffers from a mental impairment that is called fragile x syndrome. I don't know much about it. The girl must be about seven years old now, and I see her with her parents on the street, at the playground or in a local store sometimes. Every time I see her, I really wonder what the life expectancy is of those with fragile x syndrome. Can anybody tell me about this?

Hi camellia 

Fragile x syndrome is not only manifested through the mental impairment, its name comes from the genetic base that causes all the signs, most obvious of them being some degree of mental impairment. This syndrome also comes with certain physical signs, such as elongated face, but it’s most obvious symptom is autism-like disorder.

Since physical symptoms of fragile x syndrome are not of the sort that would seriously affect the general physical health, there are no genetic reasons that would cause any sort of major difference in life expectancy for children suffering from fragile x syndrome. Basically, it’s the group of symptoms similar to autism and the way the family, school and people around the child react and help the child that have bigger effect on its general well-being.

oh hi if there is any way that i can contact this family that will be great. i am doing a research and i need to contact a family so, if there is anyway that you can maybe give me her e-mail address (with her approval) so that i can contact her thank you so much in advanced!