I've got dark hair naturally, but over time, I've noticed something embarrassing: my upperlip looks more and more like a ladytashe, if you know what I mean! I've had it waxed professionally a few times in my life (not recently), and though that's quick and well done, I just don't feel like making an appointment, going there, waiting, etc. I'd prefer to take care of this at home.

So my question is, can I do that well? If so, what do I need? I would love tips from experienced people who have done this lots of times. Compelling reasons not to wax the upperlip at home are also well, not welcome but if it's going to be a disaster I need to hear that too.

TIA

You can either thread your upper lip or use wax strips. But threading will hurt more when we do it ourselves.

I used to prepare sugar wax at home. For this, you need brown sugar, water, fresh lemon juice and heat it in medium. Stir the mixture until it takes on a thick honey-like consistency. Wash your face and apply some face powder on your upper lip before waxing. Apply the sugar wax to your upper lip when it is warm and also make the wax thicker on the outer edges. Use a cotton cloth and pull it in the direction opposite of your natural hair growth and rub ice cube over your upper lip to soothe inflammation and reduce redness and pain. 

I hope this is a very easy home remedy to wax your upper lip.      

Thanks for your reply. I really like the suggestion to use sugar wax and hadn't considered that at all to be honest. I thought I'd have to buy that wax the beautician uses and heat it up somehow, but I like what you suggested an awful lot better. If I use the loose powder, the wax will come off more easily, taking just the hairs and leaving the skin alone? Yeah, that sounds good. I will try this over the next few days so that I don't have horrible irritation during the holiday period if it goes wrong. Keep your fingers crossed for me please!

Here's some tips for you with regards to waxing your upper lip DIY style at home:

- Don't skip the cleanser and oil specifically made for waxing to avoid after waxing irritation. Choose Clean + Easy Cleanse Pre-Wax Cleanser for instance.

- Use powder as suggested to soak up sweat and help you catch those stubborn hairs.

- Use rubbing alcohol after for disinfectant.

- Don't clog your pores by putting tons of makeup on that area right after you wax.

You can do this, tons of people do, and save a lot of money that way. What wax you use is up to you as long as you follow instructions.

Anastasia Beverly Hills has a travel waxing kit that you might like to try out if you are waxing your lip by yourself for the first time. You get everything you need, and just need to heat the wax in your own microwave and then apply muslin strips to pull the wax off after applying it to your upper lip carefully. Yes, this method is more involved than premade strips which you can also get, but anyone who has ever tried them (such as me) knows they barely pull two hairs out, so I would suggest you go with something more professional that actually does the job you need done.

No thank you! I would rather get waxed by a trained professional than attempt to do that at home! I know that many people do try this, but I don't know anybody who sticks with it for long periods of time as the results are usually either unsatisfactory (hair doesn't get removed well) or they are left with tremendously irritated skin.
Knowing that, I have never tried to wax my own upper lip, and definitely not by eyebrows, the shape of which can permanently be damaged by that type of experiment. If I had to try it out myself, I would rather choose a less visible spot of the body.

I did this once, with the wax you heat it, and it was OK, I did apply the powder and the results were OK. But I figured I do prefer it if a pro does my lip waxing, just because it's easier and the pain is less somehow, than when you rip the strips off yourself. The inflammation was also worse when I did it myself, I guess because it was my first time and I didn't really know what I was doing, which I could get experience if I kept on doing it but I just don't feel like that, you know? Just something to bear in mind, there's more to this than saving money...