Hi. I'm 19 year old girl and I had a problem with visible hair above my upper lip since my puberty days. I've bee plucking them once in a while, but it seems they grow more darker and thicker. Friend of mine recommended me to wax them, but I've heard that when you wax your mustache other people may notice that you're doing that. I'm considering shaving it off. Is it best way to get rid of mustache?

Hi please don't shave your lip , as once you start it doe's not stop growing , there is a cream you can get from a Chemist or there is a laser treatment you can get , please take care , xx

There is no evidence that shaving, plucking or waxing will make it grow faster or thicker. As you mature the hair will get more course and new hairs may start growing.

If shaving caused hair to grow guys with patchy beards or bald heads would only have to shave for a while and 'PRESTO' the issue would be gone. Unfortunately, that doesn't happen.

Waxing or a hair removal cream is, probably, your best short term solution. They last longer than shaving. With waxing you are pulling the whole hair out but it does hurt a little especially the first couple or few times but has the longer lasting results. There are also little devices you can buy that basically pull the hairs out, Also uncomfortable but again lasts longer than shaving or creams. Laser and electrolysis treatments destroy the hair follicle so the hair doesn't grow back but you will most likely have to do follow up sessions.

I don't know much about them but I would be really careful if looking into the in home electrolysis or laser gizmos. Before doing anything, besides shaving / waxing, consult with your dermatologist if you can.

Thank you for your replies. So you both recommend using laser therapy for hair removal? If it's not expensive I might try it. Do you know how much it costs per session and how much sessions would I need? Also what are the side effects?

Celebrity

Guest - in franchise electrolysis such as no mas vello and similar this counts as one area - that would cost about $40 per area per session in your case. At least 6 sessions are necessary, so you should be done in about  a year with this type of solution. And I highly recommend. I did it on my legs and after 3 session I practically didn't have to shave my legs for the whole summer. I tried to remove them on my armpits, but it just hurt too much so I quit with that. But legs worked great in my case. 

Another option to removing lip hair would be waxing. It is bets to go to cosmetologist and she will perform it. It takes about 1-2 minutes; she applies waxing strip and a wax and you're go to go within a minute or two. The effects last about a month. And they're not permanent but for the short run much less expensive comparing to electrolysis.