Here is my story......On Monday,November 12, 2007 my family and I went dirt biking as we normally do, but on this day something terrible happened to me. We were starting to pack up and call it a day when I decided to do a few more laps around the track. Well that's when I found myself in trouble. I was coming off a jump at a pretty high speed, about 40 mph, with only one foot on the peg and when I landed I was out of control and found myself headed towards a bunch of trees. I had to make a split second decision...do I go head-on into the trees or do I lay my bike down. Well I chose to lay my bike down on the right side and my foot must have caught a square edge on the ground and I felt a pop in my right foot. Seconds later I felt my foot getting really tight in my boots. That's when I knew something was wrong. I tried to stand and felt all kinds of bone movement. Luckily a friend came to my aid and helped me back to my truck. My family was able to remove my boot and rushed me to the ER. But back to my boots.....I paid $350 for Gaerne's and I'm so pissed because aren't the boots suppossed to protect me from this kind of injury. Oh well s*** happens! So anyway this happened on Veteran's Day and the ER was swamped. My injury happened around 3:30pm and I wasn't seen until around 5:30pm when they wanted to do an x-ray. After the x-ray they put me back in the waiting room. Meanwhile i'm waiting around for them, in pain, without no pain meds and my foot swollen so bad it looked like a softball. At about 8:00pm they finally put me into a room in ER and gave me some pain meds and the ER doctor went over my x-rays and told me that I had a severe Lisfranc fracture and dislocation. He was so concerned because my foot was so swollen and he was worried about the blood circulation being cut off and maybe even having to amputate. He told me that I would need emergency surgery and called in the orthopedic surgeon from home. At around 9:30pm I went into surgery. The orthopedic doctor told me that he would need to make two 3 inch incisions on the top of my foot and insert 3 titanium pins. After surgery he told me that I pulverized all 5 of the metatorsal bones and also dislocated it. I was hospitalized for 3 days. I was put in a fiberglass non-weight bearing cast. Doctor told me that I would be out for 6 months. 3 months of non-weight bearing and another 3 months for physical therapy. It is exactly 1 month today and my pain level is about a 3 with tingling in my toes. Tommorrow my staples will be removed. I will keep you all updated.

I really appreciate being able to find others who have been or are going through what I am experiencing. It's good to know that im not alone!! Thank you for this forum. Merry Christmas & Happy Healing!! ALOHA from Hawaii.....

Wondering how you are after almost a year?
I just suffered a Lisfranc fracure on August 25th 2008. So 3 weeks and 2 surgeries later (one closed reduction, the other to place 4 screws in the foot) I am doing Ok but wonder what the prognosis might be. When did you start Physical therapy and how effective was it? Can you bear weight now?
Your incisions look alot worse than mine but at Mass General Hospital in Boston (which sees it all and tends the major sports injuries) they commented it was one of the worse injuries of this type they had seen.
So I am justing looking to hear from someone who has been through it.
Willing to hear the bad as well as the good.
Thanks

I'm sorry to hear about your lisfranc fracture. When I saw your photos I was amazed at how identical it looked to my left foot.
On Oct 7th, 2008 I too suffered from a lisfranc dislocation fracture (all the metatarsals dislocated). It happened at work and I have been unable to work. It has been a life changing experience. I have "googled" lisfranc and have found some medical papers written on it.
My doctor is following the standard protocol for my type of fracture. I think he is being conservative about weight bearing (none until screws are removed). Recently I asked if there is some Physical Therapy (PT) I can do until then. PT's are really good about knowing how to "push" range of movement exercises safely. I have been writing the upper case alphabet in the air with my foot. This feels good but sometimes brings pain afterward.
I have had closed reduction, open reduction w/ internal fixation w/ 3 screws in place. Presently I am out of a cast, non-weight bearing and on a scooter. I have fallen off of it twice, once landing on my injured foot.
I could probably write forever about the changes that have occurred in my life. I am mildly hopeful though my work is mostly on my feet working with infants. Everything I have read states probable long term disabling chronic condition. 25 perc. of patients developing arthritis in that area.
One thing I know for sure. Be conservative about what you do. Be safe and realize it's going to be a long recovery. For me there is hope that there is the possibility for some recovery. All the best to you. Feel free to respond if you just need to bounce off ideas or discuss and compare treatments. :-)