I broke my foot back in Feb. riding an ATV. Since then, I've had the pins removed and am now in a walking cast. I still can't put much weight at all on my foot. I can put weight on the heel, but almost none on the ball of my foot. My doctor will only say "We'll have to see" whenever I ask about long term effects.
I like to Scuba dive, rock climb, run, hike, etc. I'm a very active person. How much of this will I still be able to do? I've been reading some of the stories on this site. It seems like most people have a lot of pain for years afterwards and are just happy to be walking. Is it possible to make a full recovery?

Thank you

The day of the break:
<a href="http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f135/Jeff9Man/?action=view&current=Ouch3.jpg" target="_blank">Photobucket</a>

With the pins in:
<a href="http://s46.photobucket.com/albums/f135/Jeff9Man/?action=view&current=Ouch7.jpg" target="_blank">Photobucket</a>

Are you seeing a physiotherapist? Particularly if you're an active person, it would be a good idea to see a sports physio to get you back on your feet and doing everything you're used to.

Lisfranc injuries can tend to be complicated, and require a bit of work to get going. Particularly during activities like running and rock-climbing, the midfoot (the area you dislocated and fractured) has to move quite a bit, so it is important to start to get movement and strength in around that area as quickly as possible once your period of immobilisation is over.

Your doctor would be hesitant to tell you what the outcome of the fracture will be because it all depends on how effectively it heals after being operated on, and how severely you injured it in the first place. How long are you in the Cam Walker for? (Walking cast) Can you do any hydrotherapy? Being in the pool means that you can take some of the weight off of your foot, which allows you to strengthen up the muscles in the leg and foot, and allow you to move your joints a little. You can also do some 'pool running' with a floatation belt to keep your fitness up.

Reminder: These are all best done in consultation with your physiotherapist, orthopaedic surgeon and general practitioner.

Prognosis: It really does depend on the severity of your injury and the fixation of the screws, but generally this injury does tend to leave you with a bit of osteoarthritis in the midfoot. That said, it doesn't happen in all cases, but you will tend to rehab a lot faster under the guidance of a trained health professional.