I'm glad u are feeling better! Good luck in your walking cast. Sounds like we have been thru similar things and i probably would have walked around like that for years too except my friend had s daughter with an ankle inkury & she kept urging me to go back to the doc, plus the bump was ridiculous! Yes, I heard about smoking. I dont either but heard it is terrible for bone growth!!! Life changing....I wanted to add something to say to sadmelissa. I don't want to dash anyone's dreams or keep them from having hope at living like you did before injury, but I read how you even hiked extensively. Only one thing here...your foot will never be a "real foot" again, and just because you CAN do extreme hiking doesn't mean you should. The hardware will never be as strong as your foot once was & you dont want to end up with broken hardware with your fusion & compound the problem. No matter what, there wll be a degree of movement in the foot...the more extreme the motion, the more motion, albeit small, but over time i dont believe it will hold up to the same "abuse" we put on our uninjured foot. you will probably need to reevaluate & decide risks vs benefits of hiking & other such activities & whether you will be willing to go thru this AGAIN if you overdo it & break your hardware So, just because you CAN, doesnt mean you should. May need to find new lifestyle. :(

RE: Hiking, yes, that's exactly the thoughts I've been having. I know that it's something I desperately want to do again but it may not be the best thing for my foot. My husband and I walk as much as I can tolerate so we've been heading to parks more instead of the hardier trails. I have yet to get on my bike but that's another favorite past time so hopefully I can get back out on the bike trails over time. I lean to my left when stopping so I've avoided it to this point as my injury is my left foot and it's really hard to change the way you ride. It's almost like you're "right handed" or "left handed". Also, since this accident I have really embraced the gym. I row and lift weights so that makes me feel good too. Aqua therapy has been very helpful as well. I will probably have to alter most of my old favorite things to do but that's part of life with this injury I guess. I really appreciate the helpful tips you have suggested and I'm really hoping that after this next surgery I can just move on with life. Nothing has been more awful in my life than this up to this point so it's been very depressing and infuriating. I do feel like I'm getting on to the home stretch but it's such a long recovery and there may be complications....I will keep my fingers crossed for a good fusion. I will keep you posted. Thanks again for all of your encouragement. Take care.

One thing I wanted to mention is I had to go back to work 10 days after surgery and I got the Knee Walker (scooter). It is a LIFE SAVER. I don't have to worry about falling. I have a little basket on front so I can still carry things (I was not able to carry anything while on crutches) I highly recommend it .

Tomorrow is a walking cast Yipppeee. I can hardly wait. My life will be so much easier. 4 weeks to go in that and then I will update again. Good luck

Well what a difference a few days make. I have very bad news. My surgeon will not operate. He doesn't think anything he could do will help me. Wow. I wasn't expecting that at all. That came like a shot to the gut. I was 100% prepared to go in again. 100% prepared for the recovery. And certainly 100% prepared to be living with a little less pain. This sucks. I am totally devastated. I am so glad that your recovery is going well. I wish mine was too. :( Back to the old pavement again - looking for a new surgeon....... my life, geez.

So sorry to hear that.  I would definately get a 2nd opinionon that.  What area are you from.  Maybe a call to TWTW's Doctor as well. 

Keep us posted.

I appreciate your kindness. Another second opinion for sure just have to wait so long again. Boooo. I am in Ontario Canada. Who is your doctor and where are you from?

I went to the Dr this morning and he said all looks good. My toes look like the Sahara Desert because they are so dry from no moisture.

He but me in a boot (not a walking cast) YIPPEEE.

It is very tender and I still need to use crutches until I bring my strength up again in my foot.

Melissa, I am in Denver Colorado. I was telling my Dr about you this morning and he said come on down to Denver, he will fix you. ;)

I truly am so happy for you and I appreciate your thoughts of me. I am not going to let this dwindle away into an abyss. I have been talking with twtw and I think she's going to get me her ortho's info. I have also asked for referrals here in Ontario to other ortho's that are local. I just can't give up on my health and I need some resolve. Who is your doc?

Ok, thanks. I'll see if I can get in touch with him/her. Thank you so much. You're going to love soaking your feet and sluffing off that scaly skin! Isn't it sooooo nice to feel fresh air on your leg anf foot. It opens up a whole new world! Ahhhh, the little things we take for granted..... Scrub away!

Hi szavala! Just catching up...so glad to read you are in a boot! That always feels like such a big milestone! I hope you keep getting better &better!

Hi Szavala, just posting here (I have posted this on other threads) that somehow, amazingly, I am booked for my Fusion surgery for next week. This is truly unheard of in Canada. I was so totally devastated two weeks ago when my doctor said he couldn't help me but he came through with an awesome second opinion doctor and he recognised how terrible my foot is and booked me in for surgery on our first consultation. I am beside myself. I never thought this would happen. I thought I'd be on the regular waiting lists which are at least 18 months just for a consultation. I truly owe that doctor everything. So, wish me luck next week, I'll need it. Hope you are doing well. Take care.

Oh that is awesome. I am so happy to hear that. I hope all goes well for you. Keep me posted for sure. I have had my boot on and walking since the 3rd. The first week was rough but now it's going smoothly. It is real tired by the end of the day but other than that it looks and feels good.

You have all given me hope! My lisfranc with 4th metatarsal head fracture was misdiagnosed for 4 months--I took nothing for pain which would score as 8 on a 0-10 scale until my podiatrist FINALLY did an MRI (after my internist ordered a bone scan because she didn't know what else to do) and offered and injection of cortisone. My podiatrist has yet to tell me the diagnosis (I learned of it only when she wrote it on the prescription for an orthotic.) I now am seeing a highly-recommended local orthopedic surgeon of whom I have requested surgery. I am scared but your comments have shown there is hope to get rid of the pain (which is returning). I dream of taking a nice, long hike in the woods by the river without utter pain.

sadmelissa, How did your surgery go? How are you doing these days? I hope all went well.

I'm now 12 weeks post surgery and I'm slowly getting out of the walking boot. I love the boot because my foot feels good in it and I can walk faster than I can without it. My Dr wants me to wear it when I'm out but I can go without at home. I started physical therapy last week. The exercises are painful but I know they are necessary. I get pain in my arch but that's probably because I haven't had one for so long that my foot is getting used to it being there again.

Let me know how things are progressing with you. I know it's hard.

Hey all....hope everyone is healing and doing better than me. I'm beginning to think this is not a cure, even the fusion, but that the whole thing is just going to be an unfortunate journey we have to go thru life with. Need your input if anyone has any. I'm pretty worried but have no insurance now so I'm screwed. Ok, had been doing pretty well & had hope & a good attitude, but I think something is going on. Refresher for anyone who hasn't read my story...now 16 mo from injury, 8 mo from last surgery which was fusion (arthritis removal, bone graft from heel, plating, & 7 screws) of severe Lisfranc injury, 3 comminuted & displaced fractures of 2, 3, & 4, & a cuboid fracture. NOW, in the last couple weeks I have developed pretty bad pain & severe stiffness in the joints where the toes meet my foot (coincidentally, mostly in the 2 MTs that have the plate up in the midfoot). My toes seem to be "pulling upward" and my long second toe is now having to curve dramatically in an arch for the tip to touch the floor. I can't bend my toes down at that joint AT ALL now, but I can pull them up fairly ok. I massage the area and all it does is make it kind of purple like it is bruising, but I'm not doing it THAT hard! AND now the whole top of my foot is cold a lot, significantly different in temperature than my other foot to the touch & the way it feels. Why would this happen almost 8 months down the road??? Was wondering if my tendons or nerves or vessels could be shortening or be entrapped in some way our what. Scars don't appear to be the culprit, but who knows. I'm kinda freaking out about this. Anyone else ever have any symptoms similar this? I swear...if it isn't one thing with this injury, it is another....and it is NEVER good.