Oh, and FYI, I had no injury or surgery down by my toes at all....everything was up in my midfoot.

That doesn't sound good. Have you tried calling the Dr that did the surgery and talking to him?

I'm on week 12 post op and I am still in the boot. I tried to go into a shoe but there is no way possible. I can't even get my foot into the widest shoe I have. I am supposed to be gradually getting away from the boot but I can't.

It is a very frustrating injury and sometimes it feels like there is no end in site.

Wow, twtw and szavala, not good at all. I just had fusion done last Tuesday and I was hopeful going into it but I'm not so sure anymore....

Hi Szavala & Sadmelissa,
Yep, it is hard to get into shoes. The first ones I got in were a pair of my running shoes that I would unlace as far as possible & used some extra long shoe laces I bought so I could tie them. This was the ONLY thing I could get on my foot for months. Then I found some boots that go about halfway to your calf with laces and a cute buckle on the sides, but the only way I can get them on is because of a full length zipper on the inside of the boot that allows you to slide the foot in. There are boots out there with a zipper down the back too, but when I saw those my foot still wouldn't slide in.  Can't wear "slip-on" shoes that are cut low because then your foot swells all around the opening.  So, that is basically how it is, at least for me. You don't realize when you are getting your foot in a cute pair of boots or shoes that have coverage over the top of the foot just how much your foot flexes to go in. Your foot no longer flexes at the midfoot after fusion (guess I didn't realize how much it used to flex there) so you can't get your foot into a LOT of shoes. I thought I was going to be able to get into something like Skechers safari type sandals for summer about a month and a half ago, but I walked out of the store sadly mistaken. Even with velcro at the back to open it up to slide in, my foot is just too thick now. Its like they "gather up" the bones & screw it all together and it becomes stiff and bigger in girth or something. Plus, my swelling has never ALL gone away. I still have it over the top of my foot a little. It is spongy feeling. Wierd.

My 3 extended family members who have had hardware in their feet and ankles have all said that they never were "swelling free" until their hardware was removed, but WE won't ever get our hardware out (presumably). Someone related it to "foreign body" reaction that your body doesn't actually like and is always kind of fighting against. Great. The news gets better and better! :P

Sorry you are having a rough time of it Szavala. You too Melissa and all your pain. And anyone else reading this. That sucks. I was determined not to let this injury define the rest of my life, but I don't know if I have a choice. I think the fusion is WAY better than ORIF, but I keep reading blogs where people never stop struggling.  I hate stepping out of bed every morning now, especially with my latest issues. Just reminds me how NOT normal my life is and how I can't get back to the old me. Ok - that's all the whining for now. Sorry. I'm TRYING to get my sparkle back! :) T.

Wow, depressing isn't it. I remember when I had the surgery 5 years ago that I had a hard time finding a shoe but eventually my foot fit into normal shoes just a Wider shoe. But.....I didn't keep the hardware in last time and that is why there was pain and problems 5 years later. I am hoping that things get better for all of us soon. I know this can be very depressing. Just think of people that have it worse than us though and maybe that makes things better in perspective. Sadmelissa hope things are going good for you on your recovery, it does get better once you are weight bearing. Happy Friday and Happy Mothers day this weekend. My kids better do the cooking because I'm sure not :)

Happy mothers day to all of you too!!!

So I FOUND SOME SHOES!!! I was shopping at Walmart and I saw some shoes that looked like they might fit my foot and they did. They aren't super attractive but they work....and...only $9 so I won't feel guilty when I throw them away once my foot is able to get into different shoes. They are a 9W which I usually wear an 8 but hey....I can get them on. So see, there is a light at the end of the tunnel :) I am walking really slow today because my ankle is a bit sore from the non movement for so long. I hope physical therapy tomorrow will help in that.

Yay!! I bet you are so excited. I wore an ankle brace from Walmart for a while. Forgot how sore and weak your ankle is right after. Congrats! Baby steps are great!

Hello all again. I hope everyone is doing well. szavala I'm so glad you found some shoes that work. I remember with the ORIF it seemed so momentous to finally get a shoe on. Such small things made me happy. I am not such a happy camper right now though. The fusion pain is unreal but I have to keep the long term in mind. I can't use crutches either so I'm using a walker to get around which is aggravating my carpal tunnel in both of my wrists. I am in constant pain with this and I dread going up stairs to bed at night as that's when the pain is worst. Anyhoo - tomorrow I get my real cast so I'll get to see my foot for the first time. I am excited and nervous at the same time. I hope it's not too gruesome. I will let you all know how it goes. Fingers crossed. Take care all.

Good to hear from you Melissa, I'll bet that is frustrating for you. I didn't do crutches to well either. I scooted up the stairs on my butt or knees. I used a rolling knee walker at work which was wonderful. I'm sorry your pain is unreal. I didn't have that much pain during recovery, just discomfort. Hopefully when you get in a cast it will feel better. You are Non Weight Bearing right? Good luck tomorrow...enjoy looking at your foot.

How are you doing Melissa and twtw.

It is week 15 for me and it is getting somewhat better. Walking in a boot is sure easier than a shoe. I sometimes wish I could just stay in a boot forever. I did find another pair of Shoes, Sketchers work shoes have a stiff sole and are tall and wide enough. I could only wear them for a few hours at a time at first.

I've been in Physical Therapy for 4 weeks now and it does seem to be helping. I highly recommend it. I am now striving to walk rolling heal to toe, it's getting less and less painful as the days go on.

Hope all is well with you.

who was the doctor in San antonio tx?
thanks.
mrsrn63

I am approaching 8 months post op. My Lisfranc is vertical between the 2nd and 3rd met. I have 2 screws horizontally that I was told are permanent. I still have a lot of swelling and the pain in the mid foot is pretty sharp when I try and do toe lifts, stand on the toes, do a calf stretch, or stand with all me wieght on the injured foot. The screws are secure and in place but the pain is not allowing me to walk properly or progress very well. It's causing me an immense amount of sciatic pain and low back problems. I went in for a second opinion today and they are recommending a fusion now. I was told I am too young (38) to be with a cane, or have continued pain like this and that fusion would allow me to get back into my heels and move on without so much discomfort. To what degree does fusion place stress on the surrounding joints they can't say but I am seriously considering this surgery. I want to get it over with. I am discouraged though as I have not had one pain free day since my injury Jan 1st 2012 and I dread going back to the boot, and the knee scooter and the seated showers and the rides and immobility. But in the long run I could be so much better off. Any advice? I did ask if doing the surgery soon was jumping the gun since healing takes a year-ish and they said absolutely not. I should be farther along by now.

Wow, I'm so sorry about your injury. I am 10 months post fusion. I am doing pretty well. If you research, not many people get through this without a fusion. My foot fell apart 5 months after ORIF. I know I speak for myself & others that there is literature out there now saying these should be done as fusions from the get go, but that isn't yet standard practice, though I think it should be, IMO, because I dont know anyone who got away with just an ORIF!! I still have issues, though not severe, 1.5 yr post injury, But I had a total of 4 displaced, comminuted fx's with total blowout of tendons & ligs & nerves. I don't know how to compare, but I think you'll find you will want a fusion. The immobility SUCKS to do it again, but better to get it over with. Good luck!!!! We all feel your pain :(

How are you szavala? Doing much better, I hope??