Thanks for asking. I am dong so much better. I am now 5 1/2 months post fusion and I have to say I am happy now. I thought at first it was a mistake but my foot looks normal. I have swelling everyday but it really doesn't hurt to much. I went camping last week and did a lot of walking up and down hills. I have to take it easy on it but I was still very pleased at how well I kept up with everyone else.

SadMelissa how are you doing?

Hello! I'm here again!! So sorry I've been MIA for a bit. So, had the fusion done May 1st and just got clearance to start physio (thank god!). I have lots of swelling, aching, pain, zingers, etc., but I'm just so glad it's done. Now all I have to do is keep getting better. I think it's going to be a very long road but it's the only road I have in front of me.... My surgeon was THE BEST. I'm so glad to hear that you are doing better. Stay in touch, ok. I will keep updating my progress but for now I am just glad to be free to start putting weight on my foot again. Take care.

Hey Peggy, we've talked before, probably on another Lisfranc thread, but I just wanted to give you some light on fusion. Fusion will, more than likely create stress on the non-fused joints surrounding the fused area. The degree of stress would be difficult to determine. I am noticing, at 4 1/2 months post fusion (left foot) that the outside of my ankle, 4th metatarsal, and 5th metatarsal, are getting beat up by the lack of movement in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd metatarsals, cuneiforms, etc. My physio guy says there's a lot of "heat" in my ankle. It usually aches all the time. I still can not toe off or stand on my tip toes. The pain is still too much but I am only 4 and a half months post fusion. I am just hoping I do not develop arthritis in my ankle or anywhere else. Fusion is a "salvage" operation, so you need to do some thinking about it. I had no choice. I am just hoping that with time I will get well enough to function somewhat normally again. Walking is still a challenge, and like you, my back is taking a beating as well. Well, I hope you find some resolve with this awful affliction....All of us Lisfrancer's deserve a "hall pass" from pain for the rest of our lives, don't we?

I live in Colorado and hope that the Colorado residents will be able to contact me about surgeons they have seen for lisfranc fusion. My husband is 70 years old and has decided he is ready for an operation to relieve the arthritis in those joints.

I had my fusion done Dec 4th. Twenty times more discomfort from this surgery post op. The ankle hurts like a mofo where they took bone. They added 3 screw to the 2 I have and the 5 are permanent fixtures. I am not in a boot this 6 weeks post op. I went home in a splint cast and 10 days later had stitches out, lots of bruising and franken scars down the inside of my foot and ankle. They sent me home in a lower leg cast. I am not happy about a cast as I thought I would be able to move my ankle like last time. Apparently I need to be immobile. So I am 23 days post op and the pain is getting better. I am so hoping this will fix the problem from the ORIF and missed second lisfranc joint damage that never healed. I just want to walk without such a huge limp. I had such sharp pain I was never able to push off. I will look forward to PT again. I must say we do not know how much we lose the mechanics of walking until a professional helps us. My goal is to walk the Denver zoo without a cane, in normal time, no sharp pain, no exhaustion and no wheelchair. Then the Renaissance festival is my next goal. This has been the longest year of my life. We learn a lot about ourselves in times like these.

Hi Peggy, I too am in Denver. Who did your surgery? It will be a year in February for me and things still hurt sorry to say.

HI Peggy, Long time no speak! So, you've had fusion....me too. Mine was May 1st so I'm a bit ahead of you. I can assure you that the pain does subside a bit but not completely. I will admit it's better than the ORIF pain but it's more constant and aggravating. It's different than arthritis pain (that hasn't set in yet...) but it's still pain after 8 months. Plus, the NWB period and 6 months+ general healing is crazy since we've already suffered with the ORIF. I really hope you reach your goal of walking the Denver zoo and the Renaissance festival. My goals are small, just walking is great. So, all the best to you and please stay in touch. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Hi All, I haven't posted before, but thought that my fusion story may offer some hope. I ended up with a lisfranc dislocation-fracture in Dec 2011 from a car accident. I had ORIF surgery in Jan 2012. As it was a very severe lisfranc d-f the surgeon fused 3 of the 4 joints during the ORIF, to avoid the arthritic pain that was likely to be fairly constant if it wasn't fused. He also had to bone graft the joints (taking bone from my heel and ankle) before fusing with 15 screws and 3 plates. Plus 2 K-wires to stabilise the 4th joint (I think that was their purpose). The K-wires were taken out 6 weeks post-op but the rest remain as the fusion. As you well know its a long road to recovery - but 12 months down the track its all been pretty successful. I am walking normally now with no limp. I have no real bone pain although sometimes there is still some soft tissue pain (but that just probably means I should do my exercises more diligently!). Its only in the last 3 - 4 months that walking has became easier - I don't have to think about 'how' to walk any more. I also found that the biggest turn-around point in walking was when I got the physio to assess my gait and re-correct it - evidently I was doing it all wrong! Because my foot felt totally different because of the fusing and nerve damage it didn't feel normal no matter how I walked :) So a 'how to walk' session with the physio helped immensely, and also with the back and hip pain, which must have also been from an incorrect gait. I also practised walking slowly on a treadmill - I think the repetiitivenss helped to memorise how to walk on it (without uneven ground getting in the way). I can now easily walk (with orthotics in my shoes) for 5km at a good speed with only minimal soft tissue pain. My job involves outdoor work (including boating) and my foot is now able to do most of what I need it to. So hopefully this gives you some hope for a positive outcome - I really didn't think 6 months ago that I would ever be able to walk normally and relatively pain-free again, but it has happened. Best wishes for your recoveries - hang in there and all the best for 2013!

Hello,m foot fusion was to work on navicularbone, had dead bone and and maniscus removed, hip bone inserted and plate and 9 screws in July 25,2012. Foot is giving me a fit, got outta walking boot mid Nov. and started P.T., things don't seem to be getting any better pain wise.Although I have chosen not to take pain meds,unless it gets unbearable, I had been hopeing that it would let up some. I went one year miss diagnosed, and then two screws were put into navicular bone. The bone was dead and did not fix prob. Doctor did warn me of the side effects of fusion, so I went with collapsing bone in foot until I could go no further. You meantioned walking differently, will my physio know what I am talking about, when I ask for a How to walk session? thanks for everyones posts, glad I am not alone in this.

Hi Frisbatarian, sorry to hear of your ongoing problems - sounds like you've been through a lot. With the how to walk session, I just asked my physio to have a look at how I was walking. Because of the muscle pain I was having in my back and hip (and foot) I suspected that I wasn't walking correctly. Because of the altered sensation in my foot I couldn't feel whether I was walking with a proper gait. So you can just ask your physio to watch you walk and assess whether you're doing it properly - ie. whether you're distributing your weight properly over your foot, whether you foot has the right motion and alignment. My foot was pointing slightly sideways (due to my calf muscle shortening during the non weight bearing period) and was causing problems although I couldn't tell until the physio pointed it out. Your physion should know what to look for if you ask them to watch you walking (barefoot). Good luck - hope it helps!

Hello, I am a dancer. I have a Lisfranc fracture. I had surgery on March 14. I got my stitches out last Monday. I am in the cast they say for 4-6 weeks. I am so nervous and scared. One of my Doctors is so positive the other is not. Im trying to be positive and hopefully will be back on my feet by Augustu. IM HOPING! Reading your message gave me something positive to hang on to. Hopeful, Dancerguy

Hello, My foot still gives me a fit, but I push on. Not sure of your surgery. I had a pretty tough case, or so my Dr. says. Make sure you do not take any anti-inflammatory, I will repeat if needed. This re****s bone growth and healing. Pain killers only. Do all the right things with recovery, stay off it until you are told to get on it. I play disc golf and was able to start playing again, all be it not a previous level, but I am playing. This involves a lot of walking on many terrains, I gat sharp pains and aches and little things like rocks and sticks that I may step on send sharp pains into foot. Its been 8 months and swelling is way better. I will keep losing weight to help with any excess pressure that I can get rid of, and let you know what I have experienced. Not out of game yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Q: Has any athlete  that had a 1mm separation (mild LisFranc Sprain) between 1st and 2nd metatarsal (1 screw inserted and then removed ORIF ) ever successfully been able to "cut" without pain?

Hang in there. Do exactly what the DR says. My son had surgery 2/1/13 ORIF 1 screw removed 5/10/13, for 1mm separation between 1st and 2nd metatarsals. He actually sprinted the other day, he is a soccer player at a high level, and is hoping to return to play this fall, DR is "very optimistic". Stay positive disregard all the horror stories and hang onto the positive ones, mind set is everything!

Thanks gymnasticsnz for your 'post of hope'...

I trust your daughter has now progressed much further - how complete is her recovery??

IMO, what Lisfranc-ers want, and need, above all, is to find 'normal' people with personal experience of Lisfranc who can give an insight into what lies ahead AND hope that they will eventually get to a position where the injury can be 'coped with'

>>>> gradually I started to find the right people, through blogs, youtube, forums such as this, and decided to pull together a group of such people to make it easier for new Lisfranc-ers to find the RIGHT sort of info

>> we would LOVE to have YOU and YOUR DAUGHTER and people like you ''ON_BOARD' to help and inspire others <<

the CLUB is on FACEBOOK - search for LISFRANC FRACTURE CLUB

- very best regards & LOOK AFTER THAT FOOT (both of you)!!