I had lisfranc surgery 8 weeks ago now an actually injured it 4 weeks prior to surgery. Dr said waiting on swelling to go down. My biggest problem after surgery is severe burning an complete numbness on top of big toe an between big toe an 2nd toe. Really painful an uncomfortable especially with shoe on it. Trying to get back to work after 3 months but burning an numbness feels like its just to much also still some swelling after not having foot elevated. Any help would be appreciated just want this over with starting to really bum me out thinking it will never feel normal again. Thanks for your help joe

I'm three weeks post surgery today; 5mm displacement between 1st & 2nd metatarsal, full ligament rupture, fusion surgery with three screws and bone harvested from my knee. Worst part was the first two days when I was taking Percocet for pain. It compounded my headaches and migraines from a TBI when I was wounded in Afghanistan. So quit taking pain meds and gritted through it - tolerable. I skipped out on the cast because I promised to not put weight on it; got the boot instead although not wearing it much while I'm at home (allowing my to preserve ankle range of motion) for six weeks post-op. I think the hardest part for me will be re-engaging the world again as well as getting my service dog back into our work routine once I head back into the office. PTSD from the war as well (4 deployments), so I guess the silver lining of the injury is the chance to be isolated with a legitimate excuse :-). I like to say that I'm in 'bonus time' since I was wounded, so even with a severe Lisfranc injury, I'll still remain grateful to be alive; it can ALWAYS be worse.

did you get the screws out? My doc says they are to stay in unless they cause me pain? he says it's 80 20 20% get them out. I don't find this true with what I read on line! I am only 3 weeks post op but want to get back to running when I am able to. I hate the thought that it won't be a possibility. I am worried I should have gone with the fusion over the screws. I have 4 screws and 2 pins. The pins will be removed with in the next few weeks. I would love to hear if you have your screws still in and if you are able to run and jump? Thanks for the post:-)

Hi Joe
I am now 8 month post op, 9 month since injury. I have a fusion with 2 plates, 11 screws and 2 wires. ( I sound to be bragging!)
My big toe and top of foot are only now settling down fully. I can now wear Skechers trainers comfortably for long periods. I never thought that I would get my life back but I have.
My main advice is to be patient. I know that is easier said than done. Things will now start to improve slowly. Let your foot tell you when to rest, elevate or exercise. I still had a lot of swelling at that stage.
Take Care
Medew

I am so glad you posted that, my daughter is very discouraged right now and I cant wait for her to read this.  She was doing a full and landed wrong we went to the ER and they said it was sprained but after of few days we knew it was more than a sprain so after 2 weeks we got into the orto Dr.  They did standing xrays and found she had a mild lisfranc fracture and did surger. They put in a screw and she was in a cast for two weeks after they removed the cast she was restricted to no weight and was put in a boot.  After 2 more weeks she was able to put 50% weight on it for another 2 weeks when that 2 weeks was up she was able to walk.  They put her in physical theapry when she came out of the cast, however they were not sports thearpist.  She was in no pain at this point after 10 weeks she had the screw removed and was off of it for about 2 days and then she could walk in a shoe.  2 weeks after the screw was removed she was cleared to return to tumbling.  She did jumps leaps and backhands sprangs she went to practice the 4 days after being released did a bhs and then a toe touch and had to crawl off the floor from the pain when she landed her handsprang.  we went back to the Dr. today only to find she had rehurt it.  There was a same gap between the bones again. This time was smaller.  The Dr. said she has to stay off it a month no weight at all then she will look at it and we may have to have it fused.  I feel if she ever wants to do any sports again then she has to have it fused.  After all she was only doing a toe touch when she reinjuried it.

I have a few questions when they fuse it do they take bone from other places?

What is laser adjustments?

Does your daughter have huge scars,  ( I am asking some of these questions because my daughter has read many horror stories now)

Thank you

Rhonda Branham

My daughter is a Dancer and a cheerleader in her freshmen year in high school she now has to set out of a major solo competetion as a dancer and will miss nationals as a cheerleader I know this does not sound like much but this has been her life since she was three.  Thanks for your help.

Can anyone at least 6 months out but better a year or more post-op confirm these results?:

Most patients have swelling about the surgical area that lasts for about 4 months after surgery. It generally takes 9 – 12 months for complete healing to occur.

I'm 11 weeks (a little over 2.5 months) out - still in the boot cast.  Walking hurts, and I'm not sure how long this will last or how much weight-bearing affects recovery.

Thanks

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Hi Jasfranc
I am now 10 month post second op (11month from injury)
I was non weightbearing for 3months ( 2 months in cast then into boot).I then slowly began to weightbear. What I found important at this stage was to listen to the foot. Do not overdo it or it will just take longer but make sure you are using it or it will stiffen. This is trial and error. Just be patient. There is still pain at this stage, but it does now begin to improve.
Physiotherapy was very important at this stage too.
I started driving 5 month post op.

Now I would say I am 90% improved.
I am still moving forward but have regular setbacks (usually when I have overdone it!)
I feel extremely lucky to have reached this level.
Just try and be patient and don't try to rush your weightbearing.
Hope this helps.
Kind Regards
Medew

Hello, how did your daughter get on? I have been offered fusion for an old lisfranc injury from 13 years ago. I am also a dancer. I have a splay between my big toe and second toe due to the separation of the metatarsals...

Hello, I'm a dancer too and have been offered fusion for my old lisfranc injury. I am not sure what to do. I get pain with dance and running. How did you get on? I really hope you can dance again...

Hello, how are you doing and are you back to running? I have been offered fusion for an old lisfranc injury but I dance. I am not sure if it's a good idea...

Hi:  I have a never-ever treated Lisfrance fracture.  I'm 70 years old with extensive arthritis in the midfoot because of the fracture. I understand that recover takes time. If I have fusion now, will I be able to dance again in this life time? 

Hi Suzanne, just to let you know I had my MRI and x-ray read again privately 2 weeks ago. After 14 years I do have arthritis in the first metatarsal at the lisfranc joint. I am doing orthotics, physio for gait change and then possibly fusion in 6 months. I have been told yes, dance possible but not barefoot - with orthotics and trainer shoes...I would advise see a specialist ASAP... where there is will to dance, there is a way. Good luck.

Thank you very much!

Hi, im learning from your posts, I am 8 weeks post op from my second surgery to fuse the 2nd and 3rd metarsal to cuneiform, lis frank area. My first attempt was Nov. 2013, all looked well after the NWB and hoot time. However my foot wasn't really fused. I spent 6 months with ultrasound bone growth stimulator and in boot last June thru December. It didn't work...so now my CT scan shows some healing but it's not done. I am in Parker CO. Who is your doctor in Denver? Thanks.

I think I tore my lisfranc ligament 2 years ago, possible slight fracture/dislocation too? My arch collapsed slightly, bruising bottom and top etc, couldn't walk etc.
Had an x-ray, said nothing was wrong. 2 years later, had a WB x-ray and said, 'yes there is widening, but nothing we can do now, wear an orthotic'.
I'm not in bad pain or anything, so I'm leaving it at that and know I will need to fuse in the future.

So, was it only 14 years until arthritis came in, or 14 years until you felt the need to fuse? Were you symptomatic prior to that? How old are you, etc? Trying to get answers from this board!!

Katie.