Hi I got into a weights class at school I'm 5ft 6 and weigh 103 lbs. I'm 15 and 1/2 too. I've ward weight lifting can stunt your growth can anyone confirm this? Anyways I would like to know how I can gain more muscle for abs chest biceps shoulders back etc. I'm in weights everyday with all the equipment for 45 minutes.. I look really skinny and want to put on some weight too. Can you give me tips on excersises to do what to eat an how long to work out? Thanks a million.

Hi ,

Weight lifting can't stunt your growth. Unless you are lifting more than 200 lbs over your head.

So you want to gain some muscle and weight? I think your age is just perfect for starting working out. I wish i started when i was your age.

If you want to gain some muscle, please remember that you have to eat more. Muscles do not grow on their own, they need proper nutrition. So make sure you eat enough proteins and calories throughout the day. Also, you should eat 2 hours before you work out and eat after you are done with the weights.

As for the exercises , i could explain the ones you would need for biceps, chest and abs but since you are in class at school wouldn't it be easier to ask your trainer or coach?

I can also give you some more tips from my own experience if you are interested?

Hope to hear from you soon.

K.

Well the instructor isn't that good he just says work out and I don't know what I'm supposed to do. Can you elaborate more on what you said about calories muscle names etc? Thank you :D and specific excersises that's also important.

Oh i see. Well since you are already there for 45 minutes, why not build some muscles, right. The workout itself is important but i think proper nutrion is just as , if not even more, valuable to your muscles.

I can give you a detailed answer, but it would be a really long post. What would you like to know first? The nutrition or the exercises ( sorry i don't have much time to write both at the moment).

Also, this is important:

• Do you play or have you played any sport before?
  • Did you work out with weights before?
  • How many times do you eat per day?
  • What exactly do you eat most often?
  • Where are you from? Is it like a real gym with the weights and all the machines?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Well nutrition first then weights if you please. I could get a calorie counter from the AppStore if need be too.

I've played baseball cross country, basketball, track and I'm in band

Never worked out with weights before.

I eat something small in the morning before school two toasts or. A banana or sometimes potatoes etc. At lunch I eat sandwiches and sometime buy lunch at school. However at dinner I eat whatever my mom cooks or I make myself something. I can make quesadilla grilled cheese sandwiches,soups sandwiches hot cocoa milkshakes,fruit I love fruit and peas.

I'm from Nevada in the USA. We have a weight that is sort of small but it has bench press, various dumbbells barbells incline benches leg press. That thing that you pull down On a wire idk what it's called. Also I have weights everyday second period at school 8:15-9:05.

That's pretty much it if you could help me that would be great :D

Hi, sorry for the late reply.

Ok so , first of all you need to adjust your nutrition. Yes, getting a calorie counter is a good idea. That way you can easily track your calorie consumption.

Based on your height, weight and age. Your BMR (Basal metabolic rate) is 1450. Which means that you burn this much calories when you do nothing ( stay in a bed all day). But since you are somewhat active you probably burn like 1800 or even 2000 calories per day.

So , If you want to gain some weight i suggest you start eating 2 500 calories per day.

Yes, grilled cheese sandwiches, milkshakes, and fruit those are all great but please remember some guidelines if you want to do this in a somewhat healthy manner:

• Have breakfast at exactly the same time every day
  • Do not eat anything till lunch besides fruit
  • Have a meal exactly 2 hours before your workout
  • After you are done with your workout , you should eat within 15-30 minutes
  • Drink lots of water throughout the day
  • Drink water during workout
  • Warm up properly before working out

As for the exercises itself, it really does not matter that much what machine do you use. I mean, it's not important right now because you are a beginner. Once you get some strength later on you can think of targeting specific muscles. Now you just have to work on everything, to awake all of the muscles :)

You can stay away from bench presses and stuff like that. Try doing push ups, pull ups, chin ups, lat downs...just some basic body exercises that will give you strength.

Again, at this stage it's not that important how you work out as long as you are doing anything and eating right. So, build a habit of eating enough calories per day and do some basic body exercises at the gym. If you really want to use weights anyways, i suggest to go with less weight and more repetitions for a start.