Are there any doctors here? I really need your help, quick! I have discovered this lump on the back of my head, and of course I am very worried that it could turn out to be cancer. What are the symptoms of a cancerous lump on the head? Is there any chance it could be something other than cancer?

Hi! I sincerely hope that lump of yours is not malign. Cancers of the head and neck are some of the few cancers for which a particular cause can often be identified. When examined, patients who report the symptoms described below commonly admit to being smokers and/or frequent consumers of substantial quantities of alcohol. In fact, some doctors candidly admit that it is quite rare to see patients with head and neck cancer who do not smoke or drink excessively. The common symptoms of cancer of the head and neck include: persistent pain in the throat; pain or difficulty with swallowing; persistent hoarseness or a change in voice; pain in the ear; and bleeding in the mouth or throat. Because about half of all head and neck cancers originate in the oral cavity, sores or lesions in the mouth can be warning signs. Two types of lesions that could be precursors to cancer are leukoplakia (white lesions) and erythroplakia (red lesions). Although less common than leukoplakia, erythroplakias have a much greater potential for becoming cancerous. Any white or red lesion that does not heal or disappear in 2 weeks should be evaluated by a physician and considered for biopsy. I hope that lump will disappear soon.