My son is 13yrs old. I took him to hospital about 6yrs ago, as i found 2 lumpps on the side of his neck. The doctor told me they were swollen glands - think he may have said they were lymph nodes and they would enlarge when he was ill to fight off infection. However, i have noticed recently that these lumps have not gone down and i don't think they ever have gone down. These lumps are about the size of a pea and are quite noticeable. Please could you tell me if this is normal, as i have 3 other children and they don't have anything like this. Thank you

Well, I believe these lumps on both sides of your son’s neck are just his lymph nodes, and they swell up and become tender when you one has an infection. With an infection, they could swell up 2 or 3 times bigger than their actual size and they are supposed to get back into their normal size when the infection goes away. How long has it passed until you noticed these lumps? The swelling could be present for a few weeks so if hasn’t gone away and a whole month has passed, you go to see the doc again! Have you given some antibiotics to your son?
If the doc can’t find the reason why the node is enlarged, you should ask him for the biopsy which would surely help a lot in diagnosing.
If the lymph nodes are painful, you should warm this area somehow, this should reduce the pain. If your son gets fever or the nodes get extremely big, you should immediately call your doctor!