Hi guys

I'm a guy with blackheads. I need a good treatment for blackheads that does not involve any makeup and pore reducing or hiding concealers or that kind of thing, because I don't use makeup obviously. My blackheads are on and around the nose area. What products can you suggest for me to treat these blackheads as soon as possible, not cosmetic hiding but real treatment? I would rather not use creams that make my skin shine if you know what I mean. Not scented is another bonus. Perhaps there is something specifically designed for guys? Please share what you know.

Cheers people

Hahahaha... looks like you are afraid to use any product that you perceive as being for girls. Don't fret. There's plenty of blackhead treatments that will appeal to you.

- Clay mask. Really effective. You just buy the powdered clay at any health foods store and mix it with water, wait until it dries and shower it off.
- Egg whites directly on your face as a mask. You don't even have to buy anything special for that!
- Rinse your skin with water two, three times a day. Yeah, it helps.
- Lemon juice, directly on your face neat or diluted with some water. Some people use apple cider vinegar instead.
- Plain old baking soda and water.

And there you have it. There are other remedies for blackheads but I think these will get you off to a good start.

Well yeah, exactly, you know, your man card won't be revoked if you do something about your blackheads. If I were you, I wouldn't think twice about buying those facial masks, pore strips, anti-acne washes... some of 'em are even made for males specifically I think, probably smell more like after shave than perfume, that kinda thing. I'll say this though as someone who still has blackheads. Those suckers are hard to get rid of, no matter what you do. They need care. Constant care. If you only do one thing I'd check out that Cetaphil wash. Beware that squeezing them can actually cause redness that make your face look worse and draws extra special attention to those blackheads. 

My boyfriend has blackheads. I told him, no need to go buy other products - just use what I already have because it works for me. You need a good exfoliating cleanser, a non condonegenic face cream and some pore strips. I am not sure if I am allowed to mention brands here, but if I am let me know and I am happy to share. He was not sure at first but wanted to look buff so he did try them and his blackheads have got better quite a lot already. There's no shame in using what works! Skincare that works has nothing to do with gender: if it works, it works. It really is that simple.

Well, yeah, exactly. I was just recommending this Soap & Glory The Best Scrub Ever on another thread and then I remembered this thread and thought I'd pop in to mentioned it here too. This is an exfoliating cream with salicylic acid that really does a lot to brighten the skin and get rid of them nasty blackheads. It's done a good job on my skin and I don't see why guys couldn't use it too There's no redness with this scrub even though I had that with some other scrubs I used in the past...

Yes, I too wanted to ask the OP if he had tried salicylic acid and glycolic acid yet. Along with retinoids, these are some of the most effective blackhead treatments around. It is important to realize that no matter what course of action you take, you WILL have to WAIT a few weeks before you see an improvement, unless, of course, you go for a chemical peel in which case you can see instant results but will still require quite a long period of healing afterwards, like 10 days or so.

Anyway, blackheads are a very common issue among both men and women and there are plenty of products marketed towards males these days, so of course if you feel more comfortable with those, simply pick them.

This is actually a very relevant question. Most men don't know much about skincare and mess it up completely by using plain soaps. If you have blackheads, that is not going to help you, so you need to take more active steps. The best thing to do is to:

- Wash your face with a men's wash with salicylic acid.
- Look for a men's lotion that isn't comedonegenic, that is, that doesn't clog the pores.
- Use a face scrub for men. This is much better than picking or squeezing at your blackheads and ultimately helps you get rid of them in much the same way.
- Look at acne pads for guys. They are around too.

Men's products are specifically designed for men, with the idea that you also shave regularly and don't appreciate feminine scents in mind. You're quite right to ask for acne and blackhead care specifically for men. Thankfully there are plenty of effective products on the market these days. You can Google everything I mentioned in advance so you don't have to ask at the store.

Celebrity

Well, I would be considering simple natural treatments at this point. 

Those would include using apple cider vinegar (equal parts water and vinegar) as a toner, giving yourself regular honey or clay masks, or both, and using steam to loosen the blackheads, then gently squeezing them. No matter what anyone else says, squeezing blackheads that have already been dislodged by hot water does offer very quick results, even if you have a degree of redness afterwards. Because of that redness, I would do this in the evening to give your skin the time it needs to recover. 

Rosie

Yes, weird as it sounds, men actually have different needs than women when it comes to skincare. You see, shaving provides in-built exfoliation for those areas where hair grows, and men actually have significantly thicker skin, literally, than women. This is thanks to testosterone. Men also have more collagen and in fact produce more sebum. So to every guy who is wondering whether they can just grab their girlfriend's skincare stuff and be done, nope, you actually shouldn't do that. Skincare for men is designed for men, and skincare for women is, well, not! The best blackhead treatments for guys are blackhead treatments designed for guys and not for women then. So there you go! It's good that more and more skincare stuff for men is flooding the market so that stuff isn't hard to find at all.