I have what I am quite sure is seborrheic dermatitis on my legs. The skin is scaly and thick and looks an awful lot like dandruff, which incidentally I also happen to have on my scalp. It started appearing a few months ago and steadily grew worse over time, these dry flaky patches on my legs. I was planning to wear skirts and shorts but now... now I have to deal with this seborrheic dermatitis fist. So frustrating! What is the correct treatment for seborrheic dermatitis on the body that really works well, and fast?

Hoping some person can advise me...

I wanted to jump in even though I don't have personal experience, because my mom has seborrheic dermatitis. I do know that she uses probiotics to try to keep it in check as it is believed to be part fungal in nature, and then she washes the affected parts of her body, when they flare up, with dandruff shampoos. It is important to try different kinds and not use the same kind all the time, because your body grows used to one type over time and it becomes useless. There are prescription products as well, but my mom does not use those.

HTH

Seborrheic dermatitis is caused by a fungus called malassezia. It's difficult to treat and you may need to try out a variety of options before you find something, or a combination, that works for you:

- Topical corticosteroid creams, like Desowen for instance
- Ketoconazole shampoo, yes, even on your skin rather than your scalp
- Systemic (oral) antifungal medication
- Antibacterial creams to fight infection that often occurs

If these things do not work, do talk to your doc about light therapy as well. This helps some people with sebhorreic dermatitis a lot. It is also combined with medications sometimes.

Yes, exactly! Though seborrhea is hard to treat, there are quite a few different avenues for sufferers to pursue to keep the condition in check. Ketoconazole was good for me, and you can also find it in Nizoral by the way - it's not necessarily prescription only. You also need to be considering pimecrolimus, which alters the way in which the immune system functions, and corticosteroid creams. Skincare wise, you need to be staying away from anything that contains alcohol because it can make the seborrhea a lot worse.

Celebrity

Seborrheic dermatitis is a stubborn condition that you will most likely be stuck with, on and off, for a very long time. The most common medically advised treatments work for some, not for others. For that reason, many people have experimented with natural remedies for seborrheic dermatitis. Some of them may not work at all, but others will, for some at least. Honey masks make the most sense to me as they are antibacterial and antifungal. Apple cider vinegar is another remedy you may want to consider. Tea tree, which is even incorporated in many dandruff shampoos, is another very promising option. 

Rosie

Tea tree is what I was gonna say too, yeah... also, sounds disgusting but my niece had cradle cap, you can just massage a thick layer of olive oil in, let it sit a good while until the scales come loose and are pliable, and then gently remove the layers of skin. No idea how this would work on the legs mind you, but it's worth a go if you can be gentle enough. That sucks, though, on the legs. I imagine it limits your clothing choices quite a bit.

That's interesting. I know that sebhorreic dermatitis is beyond difficult to treat and that many people have more luck with over the counter dandruff shampoos, even for their skin, than with prescription products. Before opening this thread, however, I just replied to another thread about Manuka honey in skincare, and then I saw your reply. Manuka honey contains 100 times more antibacterial methylglyoxal, which kills bacteria, than other types of honey and I am now wondering if it could perhaps help with sebhorreic dermatitis as well. For those who suffer from seborrheic dermatitis, looking into that is definitely worth it.

Seborrheic dermatitis is not dangerous, just irritating and not all that pretty either. Unfortunately, there is no one trick that will just stop sebhorreic dermatitis dead in its tracks. When you look around and see what people have to say, it becomes quite clear that normal dandruff shampoo (any brand, but actually better to have a few different ones with different ingredients around) is the remedy that most people with sebhorreic dermatitis anywhere on their body, so definitely not just the scalp, are happiest with. It is always a good first point of call.