Recently came across a tip to reduce pimples and redness, which was to use an aspirin mask or crushed aspirin with water on the places where the pimples are at their worst. I'm curious enough to want to try this but wonder if it is safe. Do you have any experience with this and were there side effects? Did the aspirin not irritate your skin? Any tips on how to apply this? How about how long to leave it on and how to clean it off? About safety my main worry is well aspirin is a blood thinner so can it make already irritated skin bleed?

Celebrity

Note: An aspirin mask isn't just great as a pimple treatment, it also works wonders on shaving bumps! Definitely something to keep in mind. 

To use this, you mix four or five standard aspirin pills, a few tablespoons of lukewarm water, and a little bit of honey. You apply the mask on your face and leave it there until it dries nearly completely. Apply a thin layer only. When you remove the mask, use warm (not hot) water and rub it off in a circular motion. 

I have heard the effects compared to those of salicylic acid. I'm all for plain and simple home treatments and this one is a keeper. Of course, if you are allergic to aspirin then this is not for you. 

Rosie

The reason Aspirin masks work is that Aspirin is a form of salicylic acid. This, as you probably know, is a very well-known skincare ingredient with proven excellent results. The only difference is that Aspirin costs next to nothing, while other products specifically designed for the skin can be very expensive. I started using it, pretty much as the previous poster said but with yogurt instead of honey, after reading very positive reviews of this online. What can I say? If I can save some money, I'm always happy to do so! And my skin looks awesome.

Yes!!! Me too! I first heard about aspirin masks after I had terrible shaving bumps on my legs. Because I already had the ingredients at home, I decided to give this a shot. It worked. The shaving bumps were soon gone. Off course, I switched up my horrible occasional practice of shaving nearly dry with my leg on the toilet five minutes before I needed to leave the house, so I've not needed to do it again. I haven't tried them on my face. Perhaps I should. Isn't it awesome when something so simple turns out to work so well?

That's cool. I so wanna do that. Sounds so simple, but well, if it can do its bit to clear up those PMS type spots then yeah, I'm all in favour of that. My actual question to you, to people who've done these aspirin masks, is do you really need the honey or yoghurt or would it be fine to do just aspirin and water? Don't really like the thought of sticking sticky honey on my face, and wanna use yoghurt only if it has some kind of added purpose, know what I mean? Also how long do I leave this on, then?

Good question. I think you can use just aspirin and distilled water, without any additions, but yogurt is known to soothe the skin and honey has additional anti-inflammatory properties. I assume that is why most people use either. It is simply a way to make the mask a little bit better, to give it more oomph. When you mix honey with water, it is not all that sticky. Many people also make honey and lemon masks, but I don't know how lemon would interact with aspirin so would not use all three ingredients.

Celebrity
First off, yogurt contains lactic acids. I believe you are already familiar with the benefits of that for your skin. It adds moisture, gives you a healthy and even complexion, and obviously fights pimples and acne which is why you would be wanting to use an aspirin mask in the first place. It is cheaper than most other skincare products so well, I personally do not see any reason not to add yogurt. And how long you leave it on? About three minutes is fine. You can even massage it in the whole time to add circulation to your skin.

Rosie

Right, that makes sense then. I guess I'll add the yoghurt after all. Seemed like it was just to make the mask look more appealing, but it turns out there is actually something to that then. I guess I will give this a go and see how my skin reacts to it. TMI maybe but my period's coming up again and I've started breaking out big time. I'm also under general stress right now and that ain't doing my skin any favours either. I'd love to give my skin a quick pick me up, you know?

Aspirin masks are pretty much life savers for me and my cystic acne. It reduces the inflammation and active acne and my face usually looks comparatively very nice after a mask. I have noticed that when I apply these masks regularly then the scar formation also goes down a lot, so that is a huge benefit for me. I would do it every day but don't always have time, so I do it whenever I find some time. Beats some of the other acne treatments I have tried, I have to say.

Now that's something I really like =). I get pimples around the nose often and a friend told me about aspirin masks and I thought, she crazy putting pills on her face. Then I tried it cause why not perhaps it helps and my skin looked better right off the bat. Now I use it all the time whenever I have a pimple, its my secret weapon that keeps me looking good... cheap too, which is great. All it takes is 15 minutes and, like, total transformation! Good stuff.