I'm still alternating between 3 different pairs of shoes, and now 4 weeks away from the marathon I'm finally putting together the fact that the pair I was going to wear for the real deal actually leaves my arches sore after the run I might be changing that plan, but I'm curious as to what is causing it. Its like a muscle soreness as though they are really working hard. The shoes are flat-ish, Saucony Hurricane...just a shot in the dark here, could this issue stem from the shoes being too flat for my medium arches? :shrug:

thanks yet again for your thoughts. I'm going to take up barefoot running at this rate, or peraps a sport that doesn't require a specifice shoe, maybe, shuffleboard?

Pffft, could it be PF? Does it hurt to walk when you wake up in the morning?

I don't know anything about PF, Maybe? It feels okay right now (morning). It hurts worst immediately after a run, when I'll stop, the arches relax and then I want them to walk again, its pretty rough. And then the next 6 hours or so after that.

how many miles do you have on the hurricanes? saucony has never been known for their durability, if you have anything over 200 miles on them I'd consider replacing them...although the arch would be a weird place to feel it if they weren't also bothering your knees, etc...

the other thing you might want to try is doing some light stretching of your calves both before and after your runs...as well as at night before going to bed...

good luck...

---
megawill

also stretch your arches by flexing and releasing yours toes or trying to pick up small item with your toes like marbles.

sue

It might be "the beginnings" of plantar fasciitis. I'd get on the offensive before it gets worse. I've been on that bandwagon more times than I want to remember. A couple cures that help(ed) me.

Arch Aids are near and dear to my heart. When the PF got really bad, I'd wear these all day long. And even though I haven't had a bad bout of PF in a couple years, I still strap these on after races or after a long run that leaves me with the aches you're describing. So my recommends would be to definitely get a pair to wear after your runs. The age old R.I.C.E. advice is priceless (rest, ice, compression, and elevation), but often I think the compression part is overlooked. Arch Aids do the job perfectly for arches. But also roll a frozen soda bottle under your arches as the ice part. The rest and elevation steps are self explanatory.

And if it gets really bad... get yourself The Sock to wear all night. It'll stretch out that arch like nothing else. A couple weeks of this bad boy and you'll be whistling dixie.

Just a last little question.. are you avoiding the concrete and minimally on asphalt? Even if your marathon is all on asphalt, you still need only log about half your mileage on asphalt. The rest can be on dirt, woodchip or grass. Mix it up to give those tootsies a break from the pounding too.

I'd say it's :twocents: but I've prolly rambled off about a buck fifty

I sure hope it's not plantar fasciitis! So do all those stretches that everyone mentioned!

My question is, besides the Saucony's, what are the other two shoes that you're wearing?

I've got right at 200 miles on the Hurricanes and I'm not having the usual "my knees are telling me to buy new shoes" thing. Besides the hurricanes I'm running in Grid Omni and Mizuno Mercury. The Mercury seems to be causing me the least problems at the point but I also think its because I haven't run enough miles in them yet to give them a chance cause issues yet.
I only feel this arch thing after running in the Hurricanes, at first after long runs, now after any run in them. And it will last from when I stop running and my arches relax, to the better part of the day. By the next day its usually fine. This shoe has the least amount of arch support of the three I've been rotating, I thought there might be a correlation.
Thanks for the thoughts! I'll be over here stretching if you need me....

One more idea..
I always immediately toss out the "sock liners" that come in shoes. Replacing them with either a Sof Sole Arch Plus or a good ole Dr Scholls Advantage Arch Supports. I find them both excellent in cradling the arch supportwise but cushioned enough to run in. Hardened arch supports just make me hurt, but I'd recommend giving one of these a try... more :twocents:

Have you done long runs in either of the other pairs?

I used to have a lot of arch problems (along with pf, eventually) and found that keeping my calves stretched out did WONDERS. I stretch them all the time, even before a run.

The ligaments and tendons in your arches curve over your heel and are attached to your calves but you would know this better than I and so keeping EVERYTHING loose really helped.