Hi, I overeat very often, I can’t help myself. Whenever I feel bad, I start binging, and I do so even when my stomach hurts. I want to know what kind of medications are used to treat binge eating and if they are effective?

If you have binge eating disorder, you should seek help. Treatment is highly effective – more than 80% of those treated for binge eating will recover completely. Psychologists and health care providers are divided in two groups. One believes that the underlying psychological causes of the disorder should be treated before obesity. Others disagree and consider obesity to be major problem. It appears that the best approach is a combination of the both approaches (psychological counseling and weight control). Psychotherapy is the most effective way to deal with eating disorders, because it gets to the cause and tries to solve it. Cognitive behavior therapy besides teaching on how to cope with stress, depression, anger, also stimulates people how to keep track of their eating and begin to change destructive habits. Medications are often recommended to treat depression in binge eaters, antidepressants like Zoloft, Paxil, and Celexa, which have been proven to reduce binge episodes.