Hi, I am mother of 15 years old boy who is suffering from binge eating. It is very difficult to realize this disorder as he never was overweight. After he told me that he is not able to control his need for food I knew there is something wrong with him. I would like to know something more about it.

Hi, there are several ways to stop binge eating. First you would identify problem as you have already done. Cause for such disorder lies in bad opinion about own look. Some medications may help to solve the problems of depression and anxiety. However pills will not solve the problem. Treatment which will give result would have to teach person how to make realistic picture of his own body. Also healthy way of eating has to be applied. Support of friends and family is very important.

Hi there. I'm 19 and have been suffering from bulimia for about 7 months now. First it began with anorexia (8 months) following that, bingeing then I began purging. For me, it was such an issue of control due to post traumatic stress from a year ago (sexual assault). Has there been anything that has happened or any recent negative changes that may have caused him to become more stressed? Different friends? Girlfriend? Is he gernerally an impulsive boy? If his impulse is through the roof, then that's the demon to deal with.

I was just diagnosed with ADHD and have always had MAJOR difficulty concentrating and controlling impulse. I just started the medication Adderall XR 20 mg-obviouslly it has improved my concentration immensely, but not once have I thought of or pursued bingeing/purging. I feel for once, like I have control. I have also been seeing a counsellor for the last 3 months which has been very helpful. And I just started seeing a psychiatrist. As helpful as medication has been, the counselling has really helped my self image and perception. Any kind of eating disorder that further requires medication, should be used in conjunction with therapy/counselling.

From the kid's perspective, it's difficult to take that step of talking to a proffessional. If he feels out of control already, forcing him to go to therapy will make him feel even more out of control. Give him the option and remind how it's going to help him. The sooner you can tackle this the better. Listen as much as you can. Try and identfy the triggers that could be setting him off. Hope I've helped in some way!