For an entire year now I have had pain in the centre of my breastbone, through to my back between my shoulder blades. I have also had pain in my left shoulder blade and occasionally my right. I have had a gall and abdo scan, and an endoscopy which showed nothing. My doctor says it is all panic related and I am at the end of my tether convincing him that it is the pain which is causing the panic and not the other way around. He just will not seem to get it into his skull. I am at a loss as to what to do next. Can muscular pain feel like this? could it be arthritis related? My initial blood tests showed borderline anaemia which was successfully treated with iron tablets. Can anyone relate? Thanks

mrsdoughty wrote:

YES!!!! I CAN RELATE. I HAVE HAD THE SAME PAINS YOU ARE DESCRIBING OFF AND ON FOR THE LAST 6 MONTHS. MINE IS ON THE LEFT SIDE ONLY WHERE MY BREASTBONE MEETS MY RIBS AND THEN IT RADIATES THROUGH MY CHEST CAVITY TO BETWEEN MY SPINE AND LEFT SHOULDER BLADE. IT'S NOT ALL THE TIME AND I HAVE HAD THE DARNDEST TIME TRYING TO FIGURE THIS OUT. I HAVEN'T GONE TO MY DR. YET SINCE I AM AFRAID HE'LL THINK I'M NUTS. I DID HAVE A TOTAL CARDIAC WORKUP FOR ANOTHER ISSUE AND EVERYTHING WAS NORMAL SO I KNOW THIS ISN'T A CARDIAC THING THANK GOODNESS. HAVE YOU GOTTEN ANY CLOSER TO FIGURING THIS OUT?

I have suffered a pain like this for many years and had all those tests as well. Eventually a doctor finally gave it a name......costochondritis also known as Tieze's syndrome which is inflammation of the cartilidge between the ribs and breastbone. I always get the pain when I am at rest which seemed to baffle the doctors but treatment offered was simply rest, heat and anti inflammatories i.e. ibuprofen or advil and for the most part that seems to work when taken regularly but as such drugs can irritate the stomach I dont like to take them for long so it does recur. You will find some information on costochondritis on the web. I hope this is of help to you. Chris D

I get all kinds of unexplained pains, but this sounds familiar. Sometimes the pain will wake me up. It's a sudden pain that goes from the base of my breastbone through to my back. Other times, it will be a pain in my left shoulder blades that can radiate out as a dull pain for several days. I had some tests made a few years ago, and they say it's not heart-related. Still, it's pretty scary, not knowing what's causing it.

I have had these pains for years too. And guess what i was told the problem was. GAS HA! I had all the above mentioned tests too. My heart is fine and i have the blood pressure of a teenager at 58 years old, not bad going huh? despite the fact i smoke. The only thing they found wrong with me is medium to high cholesterol. I don't think any of these symptoms can be diagnosed without an MRI to be honest. A chest xray will not see through the breastbone.
I did have a suspicion that it might be a herniated disk, but there is no way an insurance company is going to payup for that anyhow. They have to go in from the front and the recovery period is months rather than weeks.

look into codocolidise, i do not know if i spelled it correctly but good luck.

I also have these pains.

My pains are also mainly a dull pain or even maybe discomfort up and down my breastbone. I semi self-diagnosed myself as having costochondritus. I have an appointment with the doc soon to be checked out regardless since I am a worrier!!! Did anyone else have any minor numbness in their arm? I think I may just be trying to find pains now! Somebody did mention it was gas for them and I have noticed an influx of that lately. TMI I know!! I have always had back problems to some extent so I thought initially that my body was just all out of whack! I have also noticed pain in my back and near my shoulder blades as well. At times the pain is worse in my breast bone with deep breaths. I do smoke some, maybe a pack or two a week. I am 27 years old and somewhat active. Any one have any other ideas that have not already been talked about? I thank you all in advance for your responses.

Rory D.

I have also had these pains. Now for about 2 weeks. I am 27, I smoke about pack or 2 per week, not much but too much I know. I first noticed some lower back pains but I have always had some back issues. Then I got this pain at my breastbone. I have since noticed pain straight through my body in my central back. Also some in the shoulders. Tonight I felt like my left hand was somewhat numb, but I also think i'm looking for more things to be wrong now. I'm really worried and have an annual doc appointment coming up. Anyone know anything not mentioned yet? I do sit a lot on most days and don't have the best posture. I had already semi-self-diagnosed myself with the aforementioned costochondritis. Want want to talk to the doc to see what he thinks. I am just worried that it is heart related which scares the c**p out of me at age 27. I do have acid reflux or heart burn as well if that says anything. Thanks in advance for any responses!

i have the exact same symptoms!!! mine are a bit different though. for the past 4 days i've been having serious chest pains, starting the worst at my breastbone and then spreading out across my chest and mostly left shoulder blade. it's woken me up from sleep twice. at first i thought it was heartburn, but it never felt like a burning sensation..more like pain. it comes and goes randomly and lasts like 20 minutes. my family thinks i'm crazy and that i have too many problems, but everytime i get them i feel like im gonna die or something. i did research online and the only thing i found that honestly fit all of my symptoms was called Angina. check it out, maybe that's what it is. i hope everything goes well for you. these pains suck to have to deal with >.< whats even worse is that i'm only 16!! i dont know any other 16 year old that gets this stuff. good luck!

I had this pain for over a year without it being diagnosed. I went to a chiropractor and it got worse. My doc thought it was Angina but it wasn't. Finally after being in so much pain my doc diagnosed it as costochondritis. You are right that the pain gets worse when you are at rest and sleeping is very painful - just to roll over is so much pain! I also have numbing of my right arm this time. The pain starts in the chest and radiates out to the back - sometimes over the shoulder.

Hello. I am glad :'( :'( :'( :'( to see others with the same as me. I have just had scans done thinking it was gallstones, it was clear and doc thinks it is acid stomach, to which he has given me a casule to try for one month, I agree the pain is worse at night, you think you are having a heart attack it is so intense, it is like stabbing, it wakes me up, it sometimes takes my breath away, I find if i sip cold water it helps to settle the pain, then itake gaviscon, I am hoping the capsules will help,

I dont know if I should feel; better that I am not alone or cry because this is happening to some many ppl and at different ages.
I am 53, I have had this now for eight months. I have had my heart checked, my lungs checked, I have had MRI of the spine, other than a small herinations of the T7f vertrabre, I am fine they say.
So, they just keep telling me it is fibromyalgia. I go for a mamagram tomorrow. There seems there is nothing that can be done I am told and that it is just old age comming on. Well you have proven that theory wrong.
What ever it is, it is crossing all boundry of ages.
Melinda

I have had these issues going on 16 years. My first bout was when I was 23. I thought was having a heart attack and had an EKG and a nuclear scan. I do have a small dead spot on the septum where the muscle doesn't move but my ejection rate was normal and my blood pressure was text book. No explanation given and it seemd to have gotten better.

Flash forward about 5 years later and another rush to the hospital. Doc said it was plurasy. Another stress test and everything was fine.

For the last 5 years though it has gotten worse. Again, it feels like a heart attack. I'll have a constant pain in the middle of my breast bone and sometimes an ache through the back and left arm. If I sit just right and raise my right arm, I can make my breast bone 'Snap' as if cracking my knuckles. Now that I'm older, I do suffer from Stage 1 hyper tension (Probably caused by the stress of not knowing what this is.) The pain doesn't change if I work out/jog/walk but it nags me that even though I've been told 'It's not my heart' I constantly worry that it is. Sometimes this pain lasts for months. I've been told I have a hiatal (sp?) hernia which could be the cause. Gall Bladder scans came out negative. Chest MRI came out negative. I'm hoping that a tube down my esophogas finds 'Something' because I'm already at my wits end.

I guess I am in the same boat there. Mine had a rather dramatic onset with what I would imagine a heart attack or stroke probably feels like: had a feeling of heat shoot through my chest, lightheaded, heart rate started going crazy, couldn't breathe right.

After being screened for all kinds of heart problems, clots etc they initially deduced it was bronchitis.... why I will never know. And send me home with anti-biotics. Well, that did nothing and I was back in the ER a few days later with a near-relapse. This time the doctor pretty much acted as if he wasn't even interested, changed my meds and sent me on.

Interestingly at this point, I was prescribed prednisone and while the antibiotics obviously did nothing to help me in the long run, by the end of my week of medication I was all but asymptomatic; soon as the prednisone ran out, the symptoms came back. So we go back to the heart thing: an ECG (which showed no immediate problems) and an 24 hr EKG which showed 5-6 random bouts of 130 bpm -- yargh!

Then we start barking up the tree of maybe its a thyroid problem? That runs in my family so we got that checked. Well, my tests show I possibly could be/become *slightly* hyperthroid, so is THAT notable slightness to blame for all my problems?

Currently I'm on proton pump inhibitors (acid reducers) for, what I thought was an unrelated, case of ongoing acid reflux. However the longer this draws out and more I have to abide the symptoms I'm very much beginning to see a correlation between my gastric problems and the pains in my chest. I wonder has anyone else experiencing these problems had success looking into gastro-intestinal problems?