I also have multiple sclerosis, and I am having severe problems with my upper back, neck, shoulders >>>> the whole upper body from finger tip to finger tip.. numbness burning pain. From headaches to chest pain all of which are worsened with movement. But I tried to raise my arms and I literally cannot raise them much laterally. I have MRIs, the radiologists read them as normal, but my chiro found a bulging disc anteriorly at about T7-T8 and a bone spur possible "problem" around C6-C7. My doc's are more concerned with whether or not I have MS, because a rival of my current neuro said I didn't have it after looking at my eyes and tapping my knees. I just want relief. I'm in severe pain. What can I do. My Chiro is working on the nerve release thro the Brachial Plexus,,, oh yea the EMG show bilateral brachial plexopathy. :'( All I'm doing is crying in pain and heading for depression because of the pain and lack of care.

I am having similar issues and the only advice I have is to get out your bible and read a lot. Especially from Psalms. Prayer is the best thing. At least God can deal with your depression and trade you sorrow for joy.

I completly understand what you are going through. I was diagnosied with MS in 04, but haven't had a relapse in 4 years. Out of no where I started to get this pain in shoulder and neck where I couldn't move it. The type of pain was a burning stabing pain. This pain ran from my shoulder/neck to up my the back of my head and my inner right ear, down my arm to my fringers the same amount of pain, but there is a rollng burning sensation up and down my right arm only. Ice helped calm it down, but it took a while for it to work. I started taking 22 pills of neuroton a day and just recently was taking 8 tramedal and 12 muscle relaxers a day to be able to function. I was also seeing a pain mngt dr; I was getting shots in the back of my neck directly into the nerve and shoot steriods into it. this would give me relif after 3 of those shots, but still needed to take 6-8 tramedal a day and 8-10 muscle relaxers a day.

Finally, I saw my nerologist. She looked at my MRI's and suggested I take Cymbalta. I take 120mg a day (2 pills in the morning), and I am able to fully function with absolutley no pain all day everyday. Now, everyonce in awhile I will get a flare up, usually when I am tense, but the amount of pain and anxiety I get is much lower, so it is easier to control.

Please talk to your Dr. amount this medication to see if it will work for you. I know how desprate you are to find something that works, to finally stop the pain. You try to live with it, but it tires you. Can't sleep, eat, play with your kids, all you want to do is be still so it does get aggrevated and put ice on it. Who wants that anymore?

I hope this response helps someone, I wish would have read this and see my neurologist 1.5yrs ago and I could have had a life during that time.

Best, Code:

Did you find relief?

Dear mspizzy,

Please read the note that I published under my handle: Norsk10.

It explains the nature of your problem and why different practitioners have different ideas.

Yours,

Norsk10

Look into Cymbalta, after a couple months of taking 2 pills a day, the pain finally stopped and has not (knock on wood) returned in over a year. I know how flusterating it to go from doctor to doctor and get no results. I would find another neurologists that will take your pain seriously. I am not a doctor, but from my understanding looking into your eyes and tapping your knees is not a valid way to determine if someone has this aweful illness. In the meantime, tramadol and muscle relaxes(though I was taking a lot) seem to help subside the pain. I wish you the best and I hope this information helps.

I go threw this and have for 30 years,5 years ago my right arm hurt so much I through it was broke,pain lasted 6 months,now it is the left arm and pain is going on 4 months.I have MS and doctor doesn't seem to know how to help me.I take Gabapentin for the burning in my right arm that i've had for 8 years but I refuse pain meds because they mess up my mind and put me in depression. So if anyone knows of something that really helps please let me know.Thank you