i am just past 3 weeks after gall bladder removal. What's up with this "mystery back pain"? i thought I was pretty much all fine and about 80% or better. But last few days my upper or maybe middle back on the right side is sore.

i saw 2 doctors Thursday and they think it is just back muscle spasms. NOT A KIDNEY problem. I don't seem to have any urination problems or anything. no fever, no sickness etc. Maybe it is simply my back, but doesn't seem like anormal back pain.

meanwhile the surgey areas are a little sore and they were all cool the last week or so. Seems weird to me that the pain is sort of cycling back. I thought i was pretty much over it. I only used pain pills the first 3 days or so and felt improvement up until about 5 days or so ago.

Does it seem like the pain can fluctuate back in? I thought i was over pain.

the back seems the worst. it feels like about an inch or so just below my ribs on my right back area. Is this simalar to what you guys feel and the location?

it's not horrible- not like the gall bladder was SOOOOOO bad. But this is painful. God i hope it's not my kidney. Docs...say nope. but man it hurts..could it be the liver itself?

thanks for any info

Differentiating between back pain or kidney pain can be quite hard at times, and to be sure, you need an official diagnosis at the end of the day. It sounds like you already had kidney issues ruled out, so that's a start. The next step is to find out what IS causing the pain. 

Back pain, for what it's worth, tends to originate in the middle of the back and then radiate out. It often starts suddenly and then may go on for a long time. Most of the time, back pain gets worse with bed rest, and you may have been doing a lot of that after your gallbladder removal. Light exercise can really help you find relief in many cases. 

In any case, maybe make an appointment specifically to assess back pain?

Just got my gall bladder removed (lap-coly). I am also experiencing soreness in my upper back slightly on the left side of my shoulder blade. Not sure why. Went to doctor today to get Chest X-Ray. Still waiting for results. Any Ideas?

Hi there,
I was 26 when I had my gallbladder removed. (during pregnancy none the less).
What you are experiencing is called "phantom gall bladder" pain. When surgeons remove the gallbladder, they leave behind the duct that carries bile from the gallbladder to your stomach. If you had your gallbladder removed due to stones, sometimes a stone gets left behind, and blocks that duct, which causes the "phantom gall bladder" effect. This causes the duct to dump the bile into your stomach.
I find that generally when that pain begins, drinking a glass of milk and eating a piece of bread can help to stop the pain. Pain medications don't seem to help much, at least for me.
You CAN return to your surgeon and ask to have the duct removed, but it means another surgery.

I am 29 now and had my gallbladder removed at the age of 20 for what my doctor said was the worst case of gallstones he had ever seen in someone my age. A year or so after the surgery I started having tenderness, pain, swelling and lumps in both sides where my kidneys are. They have not in 8 yrs figured it out. I also have digestive problems that they told me would go away within a year...beware of this surgery. It os not as simple and easy to get over as they like you to believe. Now they say I may have Cushings Syndrome..all I knwo is I was fine before and now my body is falling apart...

I had my surgery 2006; I told my doctor and he said it was not him;
2008 my right back side still now hurts. I haven't had it checked out
yet; I can't sleep; Sometimes I feel sickly. Mucosal issues; IgA
deficient now; negative for lactos intalerence; Some times I so
weak; I have be having syncope, dizzy spells, since 1990ish;
Today was the worse; I usually eat to feel better but it took
a lot longer to recover from this one. 7-9-07 I went to ER via
EMS with high blood pressure; I can't go out side in the heat
any more. On 11-7-07 I got ready sick diarrhea and exsplosive
vomiting; 11-13-07 I found a shammy looking cloth in the gallon
jug OJ. I still have it but have no idea who would do something
like that. I told my onocologist, internal med and gastro doctors
who said very little. What can I do?
I don't have a who done it.:'(

who said very little. What can I do?
I don't have a who done it.:

I had my gallbladder removed in 1991 when I was 21 years old. The doctor told me that it was the worst case of gallstones that he had ever seen in someone my age. Now it is 17 years later, and I still have "phantom pain" once every 4 or 5 months. It is a common thing after gallbladder removal. It is also common to have the pain in your back, usually on the right side, or pain under the breastbone. But I am so glad that my GB is gone. The phantom pain is NOTHING like the attacks were, that is for sure!!!

I just had my gallbladder removed 4 weeks ago after having to have emergency surgery and I have never felt better but I have noticed an annoying pain in my kidney region. I kept thinking it was my back but it did not hurt like this before the surgery. I also have a sharp pain in the area where your ovaries would be on the right side. My doctor just released me to start working out again but I never mentioned the pain to her because I did not think about it being my kidneys. I am worried it could be my kidneys now. I am super healthy and very fit so this is very odd for me. I agree with you about the surgery not being easy. Even as a fit person I thought it was tough! I walked stooped over for two weeks and was super bloated for a solid month. The bloat did go away though.

I had my gallbladder removed about a month ago. I am having the same type of pain in my back. I wanted to write for those of you who are concerned that this is your kidneys -- This is NOT THE SAME as kidney pain. Kidney pain is lower & usually much more extreme. I have had 8 kidney stones & also numerous kidney infections. The best way that I can describe it is that pain from kidney stones is WORSE than the pain you felt under your ribs BEFORE they took out your gallbladder. Usually if what you're experiencing is your kidney it will become so extreme that you will seek emergency care immediately. Best of luck to all.

I had an ercp and a lap chole done in Aug of 2009. My docs told me that my gallbaldder was one of the worst they have seen and that was odd being that I am only 30yrs old. After my hospital stay I signed up for the class action law suit for the birthcontrols yaz, yasmin and ocella. All of which I was on at different times for 5 years. There is a law suit because many patients have had serious gallbladder attacks/stones with emergent removal. I do not have family history of gallbladder disease and when on those birth controls experienced severe pain during the begining of every pack. Anyone that has had gallbladder issues and was on these birth contol pills should check out the law suit.

I have had phantom gallbladder pains ever since my lap chole. Sometimes its worse than before the removal. It sometimes is linked to the types of food that I eat. I don't know if I should go back to my doc or not. It is very painful but I haven't become jaundice since the removal so I don't believe its stones. I had to have the ercp before the lap chole because of stones and obstruction of the common bile duct. I just am not sure if you can develop stones without a gallbladder. Anyone know?

i also got told i need my gallbladder out, the registrar told me i was 1 in a 100 at my age of 29 it seems its not so rare here lol, i also am getting back pain under ribs on the right and at front aswell was thinking maybe its a kidney infection? i will find out tommorow this week maybe is about 54 months since op now.

I had my galbladder removed several months ago and am still expierecing a great deal of pain. When I have been working a little too much, carrying my girls around etc, I'd have a sharp pain at the site of my incesion. But I also get a very intesense pain at my kidneys, not the upper back like some are discribing, feels exactly like every kidney infection I've ever had in the begining. Dr. still keeps telling me that that is normal and should go away in a year. But finally got him to take me serious on the pain at my incesion, apparently my muscle hasnt' healed yet, I keep tearing it open.
*It is very common for younger people to have their gallbladders removed. I thought it was typically older people, but was told by the nurses at the hospital that they see far more young women than anyone else. The biggest reason for galbladder issues is pregnancy.

I had my gallbladder removed a few monthes ago. I'm 15 so gllstomes arent exactly common for my age group. I surgury went well, but I had 2 attacks afterwards. They still don't know why. I still get pains inmy upper back that feel like I'm going to get an attack, but I never do. I'm thinking this is part of hetting a gallbladder removed that I'll have to live with for the rest of my life.

Hey everyone. I'm an LPN and can you tell you some things about gall bladder issues. Some of you said that right after having the surgery you had some shoulder pain. This is normal. when you have this surgery the surgeon injects air into your abdomen (basically giving him room to work). Until you pass the gas out of your system you may continue to have radiating shoulder pain. Also, the back pain, it is considered "phantom pain" because of the body still getting adjusted to not having a gall bladder. I, personally, have had my gall bladder out for 1 1/2 yrs and I get that pain as well.
 That all being said, lower back pain to the right is not normal. especially if it has been years since you've had the surgery.
   Pyelonephritis is a severe kidney infection that untreated can cause serious problems. Flank pain (lower right back pain) in one of the symptoms of this condition. Urinating difficulty is also a big sign, because an untreated UTI can lead to this condition.
 If you're concerned, it will be ok. Pyelonephritis is easily treated with antibiotics. Other symptoms associated with this condition are: fever, chills, burning sensation when urinating(but this also suggests UTI), nausea, vomiting or blood/pus in urine.
 So, hang in there guys. sorry bout the  phantom gall bladder pain but there's really nothing that can be done except over-the-counter analgesics and relaxing. It sucks, I know...:(