On June 18 2008, I suffered a lisfranc injury and was prescribed surgical treatment for the injury. On June 30th, I had surgery where the doctors inserted 3 permanent screws. I have read many of the other testimonials by fellow lisfranc sufferers, and have noticed that the majority of people who have had screws inserted have later had the screws taken out. Can anyone tell me if there are any complications with permanent screws or any experiences? Furthermore, I know its only been one month since the surgery, but does the swelling start to reduce without the requirement to constantly keep the foot elevated soon after the first month? I feel even more helpless because I constantly have to keep my foot elevated due to the swelling.. and as soon as i get on my crutches, the swelling and pain returns immediately.

Lastly... this is probably the worst injury I have incurred. While many people have told me to "look at the positive" and that it "could be worse"... these good natured, well-intended pieces of advice really do nothing for me. Waking up in the morning, so far, has been the worst, in which I wake up every morning and am reminded of my immobility, the constant pain and swelling, and the financial burden that i have incurred because of the injury (i am not insured as well as previously self-employed before this happened). The feelings are usually a mixture of depression, frustration, and intense bouts of anger. Nighttime finishes a close second to being the worst, in which i often struggle to find a position where my foot is elevated, feels comfortable in the cast, and am able to sleep... continually thinking about my current condition: emotionally, financially, physically.. I daily think back to the day of the injury.. and think how it occurred.. because rather than hurting it through a sports injury, or a motorcycle injury.. i simply slipped right in front of my door. I have two months to go in a cast.. nonweight bearing.. and each day continues to be a struggle. Its definitely becoming hard to find anything positive with my current situation and i dont really think i have anything to learn from this besides paying for an HMO in the future.

Macchio, Hopefully, the post finds you (over a year later), doing much better. I recently, while horsing arround with my brother, sustained a Midfoot fracture of my left foot. The Best option was a fusion repair which was performed about 3 1/2 weeks after the injury. The procedure apparently went well. I dont remember much after going to sleep in pre-op until about 8 hrs later when i was home... Dont ask me! My Wife is a Saint! Had a nerve block and losto narcotics for the pain... Dr's Orders: Elevated foot, No weight bearing, soft cast, and cold packs as needed for the 1st 2 weeks... Done... went for the follow-up, stitches came out and on went the hard cast made of fiberglass... (2 nights before i had a severe anxiety attack in the evening hours as the foot/ ankle swelling finally annoyed me to the point of severe frustration and so on... A non traditional liquid solution was recommended and greatly appreciated... Now... I continue with the following side note: Internet web browsing is a horrible way to try and ease your mind over concerns, anxiety, and frustration... Plexi Cast goes on, swelling continues mostly at night, N weight bearing, and on crutches, and i go back to work (light restricted duty: Torture for a cop, especially one starting in a new job just after the injury occurred)... Assigned to evening shift... Here's the fun part... Nothing much to do at work, swelling continues mostly in evening hours till bed time, unable to take prescribed pain meds due to work and driving home, elevation and ice arent cutting it... MORE WEB BROWSING... found much information about cast alternatives IE: slits and strap doohickies... Called my Ortho's assistant, explained and she got back to me with a dream answer... If it keeps up, we'll remove the hard cast , put on the walking boot but youll have to wear it like a cast and still no weight bearing.... YES!!!!... its been a week since that miracle... Yes, the foot still swells, yes, it still hurts in the evening, No... I do not put weight on it, (except when the crutch slipped in a rest stop bathroom on a wet floor... Dont ask, Sigh). Its coming on one month since the surgery and i go for my second follow-up in 8 days... I found something called an "IWalkFree"(Hello... Websearch it) which is an alternative to traditional crutches, which hopefully will erase the CRUTCHSRATIONS... Now if the job can reassign me to light duty, day shift, ill be able to take the pain meds at night and get some better sleep... My Expecations? I dont expect to get back to weight bearing, even a little, for at least another 3 - 5 weeks. The job is not thrilled with that concept as it is holding up a major project that im part of... Return to full duty doesnt look likely for many months... and im pretty frustrated about that as i only want to get back to work, Im 41 yo, am having to start over and this injury will prohibit many options and other departments, for me in the future...