Hi, I have a fourteen months old daughter. I was not able to breastfeed her so I gave her baby formula. After a while she began to suffer from constipation and was in a lot of pain. The doctor did some tests and told me that my daughter suffers from cow's milk allergy and that I should switch to formula based on soy milk. This did not help her and she still has the same problems. Could it be that my daughter is allergic to soy milk also?

Hi, I am sorry to hear that your baby has to go through so much trouble. I remember how worried I was when my daughter was diagnosed with milk protein allergy. It was very hard to find the right formula that she would be comfortable with. I have also tried feeding her with soy milk formula, but it didn't help her with the diarrhea. It turned out that she was allergic to soy milk as well. Unfortunately, some children can be allergic not only to cow's milk but to soy milk also. So I would have to say that it is very likely that because your daughter still has the same problems that she is allergic to soy milk. I know that when I found out about this I didn't know what kind of formula should I give to my daughter, but the doctor recommended rice milk as an option. It was a great solution. However, rice milk is poorer than soy milk in fat so you shouldn't switch your daughter to it until you talk to her pediatrician. I am sure that if it turns out that your daughter is really allergic to soy milk he will suggest the proper replacement that will suit your daughter's needs.