good day there. so, my friend is making a kefir and I have tried it. I  like it, it is much better than this one that I can buy in the market. to be totally honest with you, I suck in kitchen when it comes to cooking and preparing anything that you can eat and drink. but, it seems that my hubby loves this kefir, and I want to make it for him. can you tell me more about this, about the recipe? what kind of milk do you use to make it? can I use a coconut milk for example?

No, actually, you should avoid coconut milk because you won't be able to make a perfect kefir. Or kefir at all. You might have a success, but I am not sure that this is the kind of the effect that you want to have in your home.

Why?

Because kefir works best with a whole-fat cow, goat, sheep, or other animal milk. So, it is very important to be an animal milk. Sure, you can try to use low-fat milk, but refresh the grains in whole fat milk if they stop fermenting the kefir properly, very easy.

So, say no to coconut milk and try it with cow milk. My recommendation, because I think that this is a success on how to use kefir grains to make kefir at home and how to make an amazing kefir as well. 

Celebrity

And what about lactose-free milk? That was a type of milk which I was using when I wanted to make a kefir for the first and the last time in my life lol. 

Is that a reason why this my huge experiment didn't turn out to be good? Or maybe the way that I was using was not good, because anything can happen. I mean, I am not so good at making anything, I can make a lunch, but making something like kefir or cakes - it seems that I am awful in this. Hope that you can help me in my doubts :) 

Why not using coconut milk? I mean, I would do that, I would definitely experiment. I know that it goes much faster with an "ordinary" milk, but I don't see why don't give a try it with a coconut milk. I am sure that you can make something.

Now, I want to know did anyone tried, since I am not a fan of the kefir and when I consume it, you know that I have some healthy issues lol :)

But I would try this coconut thing, no matter because it lasts a bit longer. Now, I am really curious did anyone tried this?

It is like an experiment for me :)

I also agree - I don't know why you can't use a coconut milk. I have to say that I am not making a kefir at my home, but my good friend makes kefir only from a coconut milk. The reason is because she doesn't like the taste of "regular" kefir, but she is so into this one with coconut milk. Sure, there are some differences in the recipe, in the procedure, but it is pretty much the same. I think that it is easier to make a kefir with a "regular" milk, but remember - it is not a mistake if you want to make it from some other type of milk. 

The truth is that you really want to choose the best milk for your kefir.
The choice is really huge - from a pasteurized milk to homogenized milk, from a organic to a non-organic milk. You see, you really do have a lot of different options when it comes to choosing a milk for your kefir.
Sure, the cow milk is the reasonable option and it is the most popular milk. Lately, goat milk is also very popular, so people choose it very often as well.
I am making mine kefir from a sheep milk.
You wonder why? Because the sheep milk is sweeter than cow milk and contains more protein. When you are using this type of milk, it usually resulting in a thicker, creamier kefir, just like I like. If you are fan of creamier, you should choose one of these three types of milk and in that case - avoid a coconut milk.

Celebrity

OK, now I am a little bit confused about this whole idea, but I was wondering - if I was not able to make a good kefir with a lactose-free milk, I was wondering how I will be able to make a good kefir from a coconut milk? Is it even worth trying? I bet that it is way tastier than a regular kefir, but I am wondering is it healthier? Does it have the same health benefit as a kefir from a regular milk? Or the main difference is only this taste that is probably better than regular? Tnx in advance. 

I think that I can say that I am an expert when it comes about making a good, homemade kefir. I started to make it 7 years ago, I think, and this recipe my grand mom gave it to me. First, I was following every single instruction from her, every step without a exception, but after almost a year, I have decide to start to experiment. So, I was making a kefir from coconut milk, almond milk, rice milk and sometimes even from vanilla milk. When it comes to its benefits, I think that this is pretty much the same with every flavor, just like with a regular one, but I have to say that it is easier to make kefir from a regular milk, since I think somehow that this whole procedure with a flavored milk is a bit longer. But basically, benefits are the same if you have a good kefir grains.