Hi, my sister's baby is 10 months old and she is having wheat allergy. I have heard there are children with this sort of allergy but till now I haven't met with it. I would like to help my sister and to help her baby too. I would be thankful if someone may tell me something more about this allergy.

Hi, wheat allergy is not so rare among children. There is abnormal response on the protein gluten in wheat and best way to deal with this allergy is to use diet which will avoid allergens. Besides wheat, there is a lot of gluten in rye and barley. You may suggest to your sister to carefully watch labels which are stamped on the food packs and to consult with doctor about food she may give to her baby. Allergic reactions starts within couple of minutes after intake of gluten and most common symptoms are swelling, eczema, abdominal cramps and life-threatening anaphylaxis.